Sign in to follow this  
Alfa156Melb

Clutch Playing Up

Heya Smaky, Just when I thought the car was good, this has come up..

Today, while in traffic i noticed that the gear change was slower than usual (Changing up) - perhaps about 50% slower... The car sometimes has hiccups so I put it down to that..

Anyway a short time later, as I came to a stop at lights, the clutch didnt want to fully disengage. So when i took my foot off the brake, it started creeping forward... Putting the car in neutral sorted it obviously, but as soon as I selected 1st, the engine struggled and the car wanted to creep again..

The gears are selecting perfectly, this seems to be only affecting the clutch.

After a while, maybe 15 minutes, whatever was causing this cleared and everything once again, worked perfectly.

That is, until tonight: the car had been sitting for about 3 hours in cold and wet weather, started it up, selected reverse and this time, the clutch wouldn't engage at all. So I selected 1st, same thing. Tried a few monre times and no luck - I was stuck.

Turned the car off, back on, and it worked fine again but it didnt feel 100%. So I was able to drive it and the problem didnt repeat.

I havent checked diagnostics yet, but last time i checked all the numbers looked ok. That was about a week ago.

I had a thought that maybe the clutch rod adjustment nut came off or has altered somehow.. but I cant see how? Otherwise the clutch is due for replacement, might that be the cause?

I'm semi ruling out the accumulator, or the pump, as the gear selection works fine.

Oh, one last thing, it was pouring with rain today.. could some water have seeped into a connector maybe?

Any advice would be great on this, we are meant to be going away this weekend in the car - typical!

Did you lock the clutch rod nut, if not then it will wind in and cause this, if so, set it up again and lock the nut, if it's OK though I would suspect the EV0 seals.

I did lock it, and the car has done 5000kms since so..

I didn't get a chance to plug MES in last night, it was dark and wet. So fingers crossed it's just clutch rod!

Thanks..

Edited by Alfa156Melb

Today it worked perfectly.. however I still plugged MES in and:

1. Clutch rod: 28.05 after several gear changes, this number stayed constant with the engine off. So that seems to be ok.

2. Pressure - Max 55, Min (very briefly) 40bar.. system held pressure well when idle, mostly dropped to 45 after 2 gear changes.. sometimes 40.

3. Pump primes every 2 gear changes.

I just did a clutch calibration and a box calibration, although I haven't taken in for a drive yet, but both procedures worked fine.

I have no doubt this problem will reappear so i want to look into replacing the EV0 - Smaky, can you point me to a guide if there is any? Also, where can I source the valve (or just the seals if you think that would suffice)?

Also, having never bled a silly system - I understand the system takes 600mm of Tutula? But when bleeding, how much do you suggest I buy? 2 litres? or would 1lt be sufficient.

Cheers :)

Edit: I remember someone else on this forum bought the seals on their own and put a pick up of them in their packaging a while back - but for the life of me I cant find the post.. if anyone can help with that? The part numbers and supplier were marked on the packet...

Edited by Alfa156Melb

Forget my last post, I managed to get my hands on some Viton o-rings from a member on Ausalfa.com - solved.. :)

Fitted the new o-rings today - all seems to be up and running.. not taken it for a test drive yet though.. but clutch bleed and calibrations all went flawlessly.