Sign in to follow this  
dunsmokin

No 3Rd Gear On 147 Selespeed

he there. I'm new to all this and posted on the newbie section. Got two helpful replies suggesting I try here. So this is a copy / paste from there. Hope you don't all fall about laughing at me.

hi there

I'm new to this site and wishing I lived near Smaky. I think I'd be round there every week. So now Smaky glad I don't live near him. Anyway, no third gear in my Alfa 147 2.0 selespeed.

To be honest, I lost it about 18 months ago and I manage fine by shooting up and down between 2nd to 4th and back to 2nd. Can't use the semi automatic feature though.

Again this doesn't bother me too much except that I don't think it can do my fuel consumption any good. Additionally, I worry that I'll lose another gear eventually.

Is it likely to be a full gearbox replacement, or a synchromesh? Can an Alfa dealer find the cause through diagnostics or does it have to be done manually?

My car is kept on the street and I have no facilities or tools (not to mention mechanical knowledge) to be delving into something as temperamental as an old Alfa (2002).

I am off to the main dealer on Monday to have camshaft variator checked out, as there's currently a lot of tickover chaos and gaily lighted dash lights, not to mention engine dying at inconvenient moments.

Apart from all that, it's great fun to drive - HONEST - and I've just had it washed and it looks great :Tounge:

I have a local indy who has fitted camshaft belts etc for me, but he doesn't have full Alfa diagnostics. I bought Alfadiag, but frankly it's all Greek to me.

pretty sure I can't afford new gearbox plus fitting from main dealer as the car ain't worth that much.

Would like to get second hand from Parts gateway but indy concerned about final callibrations on hydraulics and electronics.

Any advice appreciated - even if you just tell me to get lost :cry::Cry::cry:

thanks. Alfa dealer (Alfa Western Edinburgh - been there before and always very reasonable) sorted the variator problem today cleaned plunger/flunger -(whatever) to keep me going, and he'll order plunger . and fit later this week. fingers crossed it's not the variator. So all the dash lights are back to normal. I'd love to get them to do the gearbox, but honestly the car's not worth enough to justify it. Thanks again

Well, the variator wont be the cause of the stalling issues, I personally would be looking at the crank sensor for that problem, the variator only makes it sound like a diesel when it wears and is not critical enough to warrant replacement before the next belt change.

No third gear on the other hand may be sorted by simply setting the clutch rod correctly and calibrating, but if it was crunching on changes before you lost it then a replacement gearbox is advisable as it probably is a chewed up synchro, which will mean there is debris floating round in the gearbox oil and it's a matter of time before this starts to cause other damage to the other gears and bearings.

ok.thanks very much for that. I'll watch out and see for sensor. I hope to get a gearbox from parts gateway - is it sensible to do clutch at same time, or can i stick with gearbox as long as clutch seems sound?

I've yet to see a gearbox from parts gateway that hasn't needed repairing, these boxes are fragile and should allways be rebuilt before being used, and a clutch is advisable too.