Sign in to follow this  
dunsmokin

Newbie With No Third Gear

hi there

I'm new to this site and wishing I lived near Smaky. I think I'd be round there every week. So now Smaky glad I don't live near him. Anyway, no third gear in my Alfa 147 2.0 selespeed.

To be honest, I lost it about 18 months ago and I manage fine by shooting up and down between 2nd to 4th and back to 2nd. Can't use the semi automatic feature though.

Again this doesn't bother me too much except that I don't think it can do my fuel consumption any good. Additionally, I worry that I'll lose another gear eventually.

Is it likely to be a full gearbox replacement, or a synchromesh? Can an Alfa dealer find the cause through diagnostics or does it have to be done manually?

My car is kept on the street and I have no facilities or tools (not to mention mechanical knowledge) to be delving into something as temperamental as an old Alfa (2002).

I am off to the main dealer on Monday to have camshaft variator checked out, as there's currently a lot of tickover chaos and gaily lighted dash lights, not to mention engine dying at inconvenient moments.

Apart from all that, it's great fun to drive - HONEST - and I've just had it washed and it looks great :Tounge:

PS if there are any Smaky clones or look alikes in the scottish borders area, I could be round at your place every week instead - (see top line)

hi there Bigdar. I have a very good indy who has worked on the car over the last couple of years. Changed cam belts etc. He doesn' t have all the Alfa diagnostics equipment though, and I wonder whether that might present problems when it comes to final callibrations. I'm not too sure about using Alfa for diagnosing and then going off to an indy for the work. Hoping to maybe buy a gearbox through parts gateway, and get indy to fit it., Don't think I can afford dealer prices as they would be more than the car is worth.

Welcome to AD :thumbs: im sure you'll find all the answers you need on here to get your car sorted :) it may be worth posting your question in the technical section to get the most from the site :thumbs:

here you go :thumbs:

http://www.alfadriver.com/forum/index.php/forum/114-selespeedautomatic-gearbox-help/

theres plenty to do on here apart from fixing your Alfa so get stuck in :congrats:

ok thanks. sorry a bit thick in that regard. i'll try that.

Not a problem :thumbs: hope you can get the problem sorted :cool:

Its there :thumbs: i moved it into the selespeed section for you so you can get the help you need from smaky :thumbs:

:LOL: takes a bit of time getting to know where stuff is but you'll be fine :thumbs: if you have any photos of your car there is always the photo section :whistle: