Sign in to follow this  
Alfa156Melb

Grey Smoke On Idle

Hey Smaky, Just noticed this today - engine is young, only about 70,000kms - never low on oil and always use top notch stuff...

any ideas?

EDIT: Actually it looks like its more black, although its hard to tell.... with a strong smell of petrol.

Edited by Alfa156Melb

I thought you'd say that.. I got an lambda error a few weeks ago.. and rechecked MES today - no fault codes.

Smaky are you able to tell me what approximate numbers i should expect on the pre and post lambdas in MES please?

Edited by Alfa156Melb

It's not so much what figures you should get as how they compare to each other, generally pre-cat are around 0.5V and post cats are 1.2V, but dependinding on how the ECU has "learned", wear on the engine, oil used, plugs fitted, fuel RON, cat efficeincy etc, then these figures can vary from 0 to 2V. But luckily having screenshoted the codes in your other thread then you have the culprit identified.

wow, mine are reading about 2.5 pre and 0.6 post...

OK, so lambda 2 is the bad guy - thanks mate.. i'll remove it and screw it back on as per your suggestions and see how she goes.