Sign in to follow this  
ianhoe

Selespeed Jumps Into Neutral At High Rpm Change

Smaky, I'm hoping you can help me with this. I live in Singapore, otherwise I would gladly drive to wherever you are to have a look at my car. I'm driving a 156 GTA Sele, bought used 1/2 year ago.

Been having problems with the Selespeed and fuel indicator.

The Selespeed had a problem selecting all the even gears 2, 4, 6 intermittently. I got my mechanic to change the solenoid vaive and that solved the problem for several months, Recently, it seems to be acting up again. IN addition, there is another problem with the clutch slipping into neutral between high rpm gear changes. This happens whether I use the stick or the paddles. When changing above 6k rpm, the car just revs up in neutral and after I push th gear up or stick up, it shifts into 5th or 6th. I'm told that Selespeed will change automatically into the next gear in manual mode when redline is hit. However in my car this does not happen (in my previous 156 JTS 2.0, it would shift up automatically when redline hit in manual mode). Could my previous owner have tampered with the ECU or something?

The system has been calibrated repeatedly, with no success. The problem goes away for a while, before resurfacing a few days later. I hope you can offer some suggestions on what to change to fix this problem...

Finally, I think you're awesome for helping all us Alfisti on this forum. THANKS! You rock!

LOL, no creeping is needed, I find this to be fun rather than the mundane party line that must be toed on other forums...

First of all I would suspect the insertion solenoid seals on the remote hydraulic block, but only after ensuring that the pump runs fine, the accumulator is holding pressure and there is plenty of CS Speed fluid in the reservior, failing that then I could only put this fault down to wear on the gear change unit mounted to where the mixer is normally mounted or wear to the grooves on the internal selector rods, it is rare for the clutches on the GTA seles to cause an issue as they are of the pull type as in the manuals.

Thanks!!! The fluid is aplenty, the pump primes and runs just great when opening the door, and if I remember correctly, the pressure was OK, when my mechanic used the Alfa diagnostic reader (Peter from Alfa Sportivo in SIngapore). He mentioned something about suspecting a plastic ring that was worn. I'll also ask him to check the solenoid seals...

Thanks a million Smaky! I'll keep everyone updated of my progress...

Maybe I should change the whole gearbox :( The 2, 4 6 gears not engaging problem seems to be solved though.

Edited by ianhoe

Checked all of the above, but at high rpm change, the engine still jumps into neutral. It's frustrating!

That itself is almost certainly a worn clutch, which will need to be replaced.