Sign in to follow this  
Alfa156Melb

Radius Arms

Smaky,

I mentioned in another thread that my car needs new radius arms on the pax side.. It looks like its the rear most arm that's worn out. I plan to order a full set of arms for both sides next week - along with a sway bar and lower wishbones.

My mechanic tells me that apart from additional wear on the tire, it's not an urgent job. I've also noticed the rear moves around a little but its barely noticeable.

Last week when we found the problem, there was about 2mm play in the wheel when you move side to side (hands on the 9o'clock and 3o'clock position on the wheel - and wobble) However, after a 300km trip to my parents this weekend, including some dirt roads... there's now about double the play as there was last week. NO change in handling.

I am not in a position to order the parts for another week, and i have a 300km trip home tomorrow. so I'm a little worried.

Looking at it, I don't think there's any risk of the wheel falling off, but i'm nervous - I have my 3 year old son with me.. and frankly, id rather crash without him in the car if at all possible. :Sigh:

What is the worst case scenario here? Just a noisy rear end or potentially could the rear suspension seriously fail?

Transverse arms (as they are more commonly known) come in a long or short version and the bushes at either end are press fitted , on rare ocasions these bushes can seperate from the arm and on pre '99 car can pop off the rear of the lower suspension bolt due to the undersized washer which was used.

Though the 2mm play may be the bushes on these arms, it can also be caused by the lower hub bush which the rear of the trailing arm connects to, again this bush is a press fit.

And if the cars down under refuse to let go of the ones up here then a set of hub mounting bolts is a good idea too.

Ok thanks. It's a 2003 model.. I haven't personally seen where the play is. I'm going on my mechanics advice.

He reckons its the rear arm that's stuffed, so I thought I'd replace all of them, inc the bolt.

Is it safe to drive while I'm waiting on the parts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Alfa156Melb

Safe to drive??? Well as I don't have the car to hand, I can't comment, but I would say that 99% of the car which have a little play in the rear are safe to drive, I'm just wondering how busy this mechanic of yours is as he sees to be suggesting a lot of work needs doing.

Haha.. you may have a point! :Skull:

If you grab the wheel at the 3 and 9 position. . there is play - about 4 mm. It's as if the rear wheel has a steering effect. I haven't had the opportunity to look behind the wheel with someone wobbling it to see for myself yet, however last week, a wheel bearing shagged its self and that's when we found the problem. I was waiting to order the wheel bearing from EB Spares, I intended to fit it myself, but it shat itself earlier than I wanted it to! So, off to the mechanic.. again.. and so it goes.

I'm thinking of emigrating to the UK with my car so I can have a Smaky handy! :LOL:

Anyway I'm in the mood to get this car as perfect as it can be.. so, when I have spare cash - the next job gets done.. not much left now though! :)

Apart from the rear wheel wobbling around.. its in pretty good condition.. but small niggly things upset me.

Smaky, do you have the torque settings for the short and long transverse arms - fasteners for shock side, and cross member side..

Cheers..

Dave.

OK - thanks Smaky.. the arms arrived today so I'll be fitting them on the weekend..

Do those torque settings apply to the bolts fastening the arms to the subframe as well as the long bolt on the shock ends?

Also, assuming i will be dropping the subframe, where can i position the axle stands? Obviously the jacking point will have a jack there...i cant seem to find any other suitable place for the stands....