Sign in to follow this  
Alfa156Melb

Rear Suspension Noises

Smaky, Recently i replaced my front uppers thinking they were creaking.. it turned out they were worn, but the creaking seems to be coming from the swaybar bushes instead...

Today, i disconnected the swaybar from the wheels and gave it a good going over with silicon spray.. and wobbled the bar a lot - there was some side to side movement - maybe about 4mm? How much play should there be?

Anyway.. as expected, that didnt help, the creaking is as bad as ever.. and constant.

Here's the thing though.. after i put the car back together again.. I gave it a bounce and it appears that some of the creaking (or noise) is actually coming from the rear..? Is that normal? I have never seen anyone complain of this before..

Anyway, tomorrow ill give the rear bushes a squirt.. but if you have any advice, I'd appreciate it.. :)

Edited by Alfa156Melb

Generally I would replace the mount as it's worn, but a squirt will silence it for a while.

Its not that loud.. I'll just play it by ear for now ... :facepalm:

Seems I have a knackered radius arm as well.. so I'll fix that and see what improvements there are.. there's about 2 or 3 mm sideways play in the wheel.

I've decided to replace all the radius arms on both sides.. It looks pretty straight forward to me.. is there anything I should know that's out of the ordinary? (i haven't looked at eLearn yet..)

If I was going down that route then I'd drop the whole rear axle off... ( Disconnect and pull through the ABS wiring, unmount the rear callipers, remove the nuts from the top of the shock mounts (DON'T UNDO THE SECOND NUT), and remove the 8 bolts that mount the subframe and trailing arms). Then when it's all on the floor you'll have a better chance of stripping it down and checking every bush on there.