Sign in to follow this  
xyy81t

how to tell if clutch has gone?

my sele has been behaving nicely since my last cry for help:

http://www.alfadriver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=1694

Now however we have a new problem and i need confirmation of the issue.

Symptoms are the gearbox will select no gears what so ever, pressure is fine, clutch rod length is fine no error codes reported, just wont go out of Neutral with the engine off or on.

My suspisions are that this is caused by the clutch giving up although the clutch release arm seems to be moving as normal.

anyone know what this might be or how to diagnose so i can get her back on the road :thumbs: cheers folks.

Due to your locality I could pop over and see what is up with it, on the laptop and with the boroscope so that you can actually see what the clutch is really like.

But quickly, check your fluid level, disconnect the battery and short the + and - wires together for 10 seconds, reconnect the battery and see if the system works then.

no change in system behaviour after connecting battery leads together for ten seconds.

i checked the fluid level and it is sitting above the max mark, pretty sure it used to be bang on the max mark.

i'm about all weekend and monday if you didn't mind popping over and casting your expert eye over it.. assuming i can't diagnose it with your guidance on here :)

well i have managed to get gears now. i activated the disengage gear solenoid via FES and then the odd gear selector solenoid the same way, it made quite a loud clonk noise and was in 5th after. Now all gears are selectable again although 5th takes the acctuator a few attempts to engage, i'm running the calibration routine now. hopefully all is well after...

yep all appears as it was before?! lol god knows what was wrong with her. just been for a test drive and appart from a juddery start (expected) she behaved perfectly...

Baffles me, i'll remember next time to try each acctuator individually to try and 'free' it off, if it was even stuck, my understanding of the system is not great enough to hazard a guess, even more baffling is the lack of any error codes or malfunction warnings.. hey ho, i'll send the mrs to work Tuesday armed with her RAC card and see what happens! :LOL:

Thanks again Smaky :thumbs: