Sign in to follow this  
Bigdar

Parcel shelf speakers

Has anyone fitted speakers to the parcel shelf of a 156, can't see the point of those fakies.

I've got some 10 by 9's I could put in if it's possible.

I know this will involve some cutting, and they will hang in the boot, but they'll sound 10 times better

:)

10 by 9's?!

dont cut the metal, its important.

Mount them on mdf risers, speakers screwed to metal sound gash.

Without amplification they wont improve over the stock ones very much.

Sorry 7 by 10's :facepalm:

I've just had a forage in the boot, there doesn't appear to be any metal to mount to anyway.

It looks like the liner, which comes away when you take out the black retainer thingy's, then sound dampening, and then the card parcel shelf :|

It doesn't look like there's anything sturdy there to fix speakers or mdf risers :Confused:

In a saloon? :Confused:

They will sound utter pants without something solid to mount them to.

Can you make an mdf parcel shelf to go in there?

Get a photo.

I know :Confused:

There's metal where the window brake light is, and I presume metal at either side, so I may be able to brace something solid from side to side if that makes sense.

But you're absolutely right, without something solid to fix to it'd sound like a bag o spanners.

Yup, just strip it back until you get something you can mount to. Cut a bit of mdf to fit and cover it in acoustic carpet if you want it to look pretty.

I'd get a cheap two channel amp too if it was me. You can just use the high level inputs with the old speaker cables as long as you're not running silly power to them.

What are the speakers? (make, rating etc)

I'm out at the mo, so I'll have to check over the weekend, I think they're kenwood 3way, can't remember the spec. I'll check :thumbs:

It's sounding like a PITA now though do you reckon ?

Nah, as long as you can use a jigsaw its a piece of piss. The wiring is simple too if you go the amped route and a cheap amp can be had for pennies these days.

well mounted amped 3 ways make a hell of a difference. I know of at least two cars that run competition setups using just 6x9's. :|

Our 156 has got tiny Bose speakers but they make an epic noise .... just sayin' :whistle:

Right, I've just had a look at them, they're kenwood 3 way, 4ohm and 240watts.

I reckon they may need an amp :rolleyes:

But they should punch :thumbs:

Can't change the parcel shelf for mdf because of the brake light, but I could do something underneath it leaving the parcel shelf in place, then cut the holes through.

Possibly ?

:)

Yep that will work. Just put some silicon on the screws as they go through the metal into the mdf to reduce vibration. Much better would be dynamat over and under the metal.

240 watts is pretty good, but will only need a low end amp to power them. Something out of the JBL gto range would do nicely.

I have many hidden talents. :LOL:

I've had my fair share of car audio.

The 528 was tested at 140db. I like my music loud. :crazy:

A well setup system will always win out over a 10 million watt bodged together ripspeed heap.

Just never really had any call to share my knowledge with alfa people, the engines are normally all the music they need :LOL:

I used to do installs as one of my pocket money earners too.