Sign in to follow this  
James Junior

200 bhp 2.4 - seriously flawed

I collected a 200bhp 2.4 Spider recently, but as I jetted off for a holiday the day after, I have only now had chance to get some decent wheel time in the car over this weekend.

I have driven a few 2.4s in the past, but usually only for brief test drives (though did get a phase 2 Brera 2.4 on weekend loan from Mangos at one point.).

Now between test drives and plenty of forum time I thought I was prepared for the poor fuel economy and known flaws of the 200bhp 2.4 in standard guise.

Even so, I am quite staggered by just how poorly the engine performs in day to day driving.

Now don't get me wrong, the mid range grunt is lovely and very useful on motorways and for the odd overtaking manoeuvre.

However the lag is beyond a joke - I simply cannot believe Alfa let the car leave the factory like this. I have never driven a car before that suffers such epic lag in every gear, even first.

I don't mean the sort of 'slow turbo spool' lag you expect from some forced induction or common rail diesel engines.

I mean this car just has NOTHING below 2,000 revs. Get caught in the wrong gear at the wrong revs and it is borderline dangerous. Even pulling off from a standstill requires you to give it lots of revs, otherwise you struggle to pull off the line which makes nipping out at busy junctions awkward.

Equally then there is the fuel consumption. I was driving home on the motorway this evening and set the cruise control at 80mph. Resulting mpg was averaging around 30, with any slight upward incline resulting in mpg steadily falling to mid to high 20's. Tried reducing to 70mph. Little difference. Tried 60mph and got a some improvement, but still not great.

Now I know the engine is a five cylinder and wasn't expecting miracles, but really don't see why at 2,000 revs with the cruise control on doing 70/ 80mph why the car should not be capable of high 30s at least.

I know these are issues that can be improved via a remap (which I had already factored in as an essential before buying the car), but am just frustrated I guess that even having set my expectations low, the engine is still disappointing.

What have other people's experiences been with the 2.4 and just how much has a remap improved the above?

Any input from 2.4 drivers appreciated.

Remove and clean the EGR and MAP sensor, you may find a few more ponies are released.

Thanks for the tip Smaky.

MAF on my TT was integrated into the pipe running from the airbox. Presumably the Spider will be similar? I have some electrical contact cleaner somewhere I think.

Is removing the EGR a big job? Not done one before, but not afraid to have a go...

Thanks for the input.

Was planning to have the EGR shut off completely when I have the car remapped, but this may not be for a few months yet.

Remove and clean the EGR and MAP sensor, you may find a few more ponies are released.

Thanks for the tip Smaky.

MAF on my TT was integrated into the pipe running from the airbox. Presumably the Spider will be similar? I have some electrical contact cleaner somewhere I think.

Is removing the EGR a big job? Not done one before, but not afraid to have a go...

Thanks for the input.

Was planning to have the EGR shut off completely when I have the car remapped, but this may not be for a few months yet.

Don't waste money on a remap, and the EGR is simple to clean.

Slow spool and no boost until relatively high RPM can also be caused by a boost leak. Holed intercooler, split pipe etc..