Sign in to follow this  
heraldcoupe

Error codes - 2002 Selespeed 156

I've been living with a 156 Selespeed Sportwagon for the past six months. It's had a bit of a dodgy past - forged service history from the last owner and plenty of problems to shake down in making the car reliable, which it is now, more or less.

The engine management light has been on since I bought the car, and appears to have been there for some time before that. I have checked the codes and they are P0500 and U1706. I can clear these with MultiEcuscan, but they reappear immediately.

I've found some reference to when the car was sold to it's last owner before me. At the time, it was suggested the ABS controller had been swapped to one from a different variant and that this was causing the error codes. This seems plausible, does anyone have an alternative view on this?

If this proves to be the case, how do I identify the correct controller? I can find the correct Alfa part numbers, but these bear no relation to the manufacturers labels attached to secondhand units - there are no labels visible on the currently fitted controller.. A genuine 'new' controller would cost more than the car is worth and simply isn't going to happen. 

According to ePER the part number I need is 71716575 

Any help greatly appreciated.
Bill

Your fault codes point to a lack of communication between the ABS and Engine ECUs, unplug the ABS unit and turn the ignition on, reset the fault code and see if they return whilst unplugged, reconnect the ABS whilst the ignition is still on and if the codes were there attempt to reset again, if all has remained the same the obvious place to start is checking the wiring end to end including the wheel speed sensors, physically look at the sensor wiring as if this has worn against the wheels and been repaired then this may well be the problem and just a new sensor should solve it, following that it's hit or miss on replacing the ABS unit will cure this, second hand ones are readily available but it may also be the Engine ECU at fault, which would mean replacing that, the code box and key transponders.