Alfa Kiwi

Gear Selection Issues When Warm

Hi

I have read through the posts and cant determine what may be the cause of my issues so hope that someone can help with the diagnosis.

Had some issues several years ago with the first turning out to be the "rotor sensor" and later with an inability to select gears which was remedied by replacing the brushes in the pump.

12 months ago I imported an accumulator and relay which I got the local mechanic to fit while replacing the cam belt.

At the time I asked regarding the loud clunky/graunchy noise when changing between 2-3, 3-4 and 4- and 3-2 which he advised was the gearbox that needed replacing but might be ok for another 20,000kms or so. So I haven't had that done as yet.

Car drove great for about 5 months then the following symptoms started appearing:

When the car has travelled about 20kms it is warm enough for the issues

• Stopping and turning the engine off, then when trying to restart the car the gears flash through on the dash display5,4,3,2,1,N (flashing on N) so unable to restart.
  • I make gear selection in each direction until N appears and I quickly restart the car before it flashes or moves to a different gear on the display.
  • Moving off from a stop position can cause bunny hops and or "wheelies"
  • Selecting R, quite a considerable pause and then a car shuddering clunk.
  • A considerable delay when changing gears
  • The pump runs upon opening the door and again when inserting the key prior to selecting N for start

Apologies for the non-technical speak as I am not very mechanical but trying my best to understand as over the 5 years I have had my car I have found that it really helps to have a pretty good idea what may be the cause before engaging the services of the auto-electrician or mechanic.

Many thanks

â—¾The pump runs upon opening the door and again when inserting the key prior to selecting N for start

This is normal and the way it should be.

As for everything else it sounds very much like you have "clutch Drag". This is where the clutch is not fully disengaging. When it happens it is usually noticed when the clutch is hot.

It can also be caused by the "Pinch Bolt" coming loose. This is the actual bolt that connects the Selespeed actuator to the gear box selector.

There are 4 steps to curing it in the following order, if one doesn't work move onto the next -

1/ Full actuator and clutch calibration

2/ Check Pinch Bolt is correctly tightened

3/ replace the clutch sensor on the actuator followed by #1 again.

4/ Replacement of clutch mechanism - Most likely there is a problem with the clutch bearing or the nylon bearing carrier or the clutch itself.

If your lucky you'll just need #1 :Praying:

Baz

Edited by bazzbazz

Unfortunately your mechanic doesn't know the cars at all, if the gearbox is making grinding noises then it needs rectifying straight away, thi is no most likely going t cost you a replacement gearbox as suspect from your description that he front bearing has collapsed, this causes wear to the casing and destroys the clutch, If you're lucky then a front bearing and clutch are required, but I would insist on replacing the gearbox in this case and making sure it is setup and calibrated correctly.