Sign in to follow this  
Brackenfox

Selespeed jerking and slipping when cold! (ooer!)

Woohoo! I finally have a Selespeed question! :LOL:

Mine normally works absolutely perfectly (or as perfectly as a Selespeed box can), but first thing in the morning, the first few shifts are a bit strange, to say the least.

It's like it takes twice as long to bring the clutch back in, and the engine jumps in revs like a slipping clutch. Give it a minute, and all is absolutely fine.

Reverse and first are also seriously kangarooified when cold as well, reversing out of my parking space in the morning is probably pretty hilarious to watch! No problems at all when slightly warmed up. It's not a big problem, but if I can sort it out, it would make me happy. :D

Had it hooked up to both Alfadiag and FiatECUscan, clutch rod adjusted to 28.2mm (from 32mm! :o), system bled through and calibration routine run. Pressure seems good and steady, no fault codes stored.

To start with, check (or have checked) the clutch rod length and calibrate the system.

Already adjusted to 28.2mm and calibrated, as I mentioned above. :LOL:

The car in huuuugely improved from when I got it after adjusting the clutch rod. Shifts now can be measured in units less than weeks! I'd just like to smooth out the last little niggles. If I have to live with them, so be it, I just like things to be perfect. Ish. :D

OK, so have you run the clutch self calibration routine on diag? That's the one where you start off in 2nd gear to 3000rpm then stop turn off the engine and restart it.

OK, so have you run the clutch self calibration routine on diag? That's the one where you start off in 2nd gear to 3000rpm then stop turn off the engine and restart it.

Yup, all done! Certainly improved things in a forward direction, but I think the jerkiness when cold arose after that point, as the car was fine when cold before, just hopeless when warm.

Swap the 2 sensors on top around, recalibrate and see what it's like then, if no change then Iit may be a worn clutch bearing.

When I calibrated mine I didn't start up in 2nd gear and drive but everything was right after

When I calibrated mine I didn't start up in 2nd gear and drive but everything was right after

You don't just start it in second, you have to run the routine on diag and then follow the instruciots which will lead you to do the above, after it has been done gearchanges will be noticably smoother and quicker.

You don't just start it in second, you have to run the routine on diag and then follow the instruciots which will lead you to do the above, after it has been done gearchanges will be noticably smoother and quicker.

I must admit, I was a bit confused with the instructions when I did it, mostly as I put the car in second gear, then started the engine, then it did the normal thing of shifting itself to neutral as soon as the engine fired up.

I put it back in second, and carried on from there following the instructions to the letter. Wasn't quite sure if there was a way to keep second gear selected during the starting process, or if the instructions were just a little vague.

Hi, my 2001 147 selespeed has started jerking quite violently when slowing down. It's ok on a straight run but not when nearing a standstill. After the inevitable judder it stalls and shows "Selespeed trasmission failure" and occasionally "Low oil pressure"

Changed MAF as this was showing faulty but problem persists. When engine is started revs die down quickly and then it stalls/judders unless I give it some gas. Need to catch it quickly to get in gear and drive away.

I've heard this could be a clutch calibration issue but as it was so sudden I'm not so sure. 3rd gear has been playing up for a while (only shifts into it when cold, thereafter it avoids it and goes straight to 4th after a bit of a delay). Oh, and occaionally 5th gear indicator flashes on the motorway :D

I love it but I think my sele is finally dying :facepalm:

Any thoughts?

Well, you wouldn't believe it. Replaced the MAF again and everything is back to normal. Strange that something like this could cause such an extreme response from the car. Really did feel and sound like the transmission was about to give way.

Let's see how it keeps going.

Well, you wouldn't believe it. Replaced the MAF again and everything is back to normal. Strange that something like this could cause such an extreme response from the car. Really did feel and sound like the transmission was about to give way.

Let's see how it keeps going.

Can I assume that the one you replaced was not an original BOSCH one?

OEM is Bosch. The problem is that companies like shop4parts are punt out the nasty Pierberg MAFs as OEM, they are not and they give different readings to the ECU which is why the engines always run funny when they are fitted.

I bought a crappy one from eBay before getting the Bosch so god only knows what that was :rolleyes:

The one before that was a also a pattern part and ran fine for a couple of years but I can't remember the brand. Was feeling rather chuffed with myself when the £40 eBay sensor worked initially but that didn't last long. Expensive lesson learned - crap in, crap out! :$

I must admit, I was a bit confused with the instructions when I did it, mostly as I put the car in second gear, then started the engine, then it did the normal thing of shifting itself to neutral as soon as the engine fired up.

I put it back in second, and carried on from there following the instructions to the letter. Wasn't quite sure if there was a way to keep second gear selected during the starting process, or if the instructions were just a little vague.

I must say that I experienced this same thing, and as Multiecuscan didn't actually say when the task was completed, I wasn't sure if I had completed it correctly.

I started the car in 2nd gear, as prompted, but when the car fired up, it slipped back to neutral. I think changed it to second and floored the car to 3000rpm, and gradually slowed down.

Can we be confident that the task has been completed?

Smaky, how do you feel about writing a proper step by step for the clutch self calib?

The procedure in MES is hopeless and only causes confusion...

Then, when most try it out, they rarely know for sure if it was successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This procedure can only be done with a correctly setup clutch rod.

1: Turn key to MAR, start MES, select CLUTCH SELF ADJUST and run it (it will finish almst instantly).

2: Turn key to OFF, wait for all lights to go out.

3: Turn the key to MAR, wait for all check lights to go out, select 2nd gear, press the brake pedal, Start the engine.

4: SELECT 2nd, accelerate with the pedal to the floor till the RPM passes 3000rpm, slow to a gentle stop.

5: Turn key to OFF, wait for lights to go out, start engine and drive normally with a nice smooth clutch.

Edited by Smaky
  • Like 1

That's gold. Thank you.

Can this be sticky'd somewhere prominent?

Edited by Alfa156Melb

Well, I did the clutch self adjust procedure again using ur excellent instructions Smaky. Big improvement.

Especially when it changes from 2nd to 1st coming to a stop at traffic lights.

All other shifts are smoother too.

Thanks again.

Glad it worked, but of course, if there is a solenoid fault (suck as a sticking one or a seal leak) then this proceedure may not make things as smooth as they should be.