leongsoon

2002 156 Selespeed To V6 Conversion

Hi guys! Back with another question!

I've a question that would be interesting I guess: I have a 2002 156 Selespeed (new chassis, new interior with Infocentre and digital aircon display, old exterior styling, GTA-size rear brakes, VDC, black key fob, remote boot lock, etc etc). I'm considering converting it to a 2.5 V6 manual from a halfcut car (complete front part of the car with all the mechanicals and anciliaries attached), but the only V6 manual halfcuts available are all pre-facelift (red key, old interior and exterior styling).

My questions are:

1. There have been quite a few V6 conversions into pre-facelift TwinSpark 156s, I was told that in order for this to work, the facelift dashboard will have to be swapped out for the older version in order for the aircon controls to work.

2. I was also told that the locks and code box from the donor car will have to be used. This will make me lose the function of the remote boot lock. Is this true?

I know the general consensus would be that this isn't a worthwhile idea converting and it's better off to buy a V6 manual car; but in Malaysia where I am, most 156s are pre-facelift Q-System V6 or Selespeed TS. GTAs, 2002 models and Giugiaro facelifts are extremely rare. Any input is much appreciated!

The easy way, in fact, is to sell it; my Twinny is so rare here that I can sell it and get any V6 car I like with spare change. Unfortunately import is a bit difficult for us as we have to pay a hefty import fee to the few organizations that hold the Approved Permits that will make it legal, it's a heavily monopolised option here.

If possible I'd like to keep my current car, but seems like the only straightforward option for conversion while retaining VDC will be to acquire a post 2002 V6 manual donor car. The guys selling the halfcuts say they've never seen any!

2. is correct, BUT 1 is not, IF you were to convert it to a GTA or late 2.5, then the dashboard is not a problem, BUT it all has to come out anyway to replace the wiring looms to meet the requirements for a V6. It all depends on wether it's a CF2 or 3 V6.