Sherlane

Warning Light And Some Oil Leak

Hey there, I'm afraid I've run into some problems with my 156 selespeed...

Car: Alfa 156 2004 selespeed sportswagon

Problem: Selespeed pump is not starting up when the door is opened. Car starts normally and can be driven. Sele changes gears but drops to N every few seconds and selespeed warning light flashes with some beeping noises. The gear number flashes as well. I noticed some oil on the ground. It was on the drivers side (EU).

I tried to check the selespeed oil level and it seems to be below MIN. However, I'm not sure if the pump not starting on door opening has any effect to the oil level?

What could cause these problems? Failed pump? Actuator? Accumulator? I really have no idea. I will get an OBD cable and Multiecuscan but that'll take couple of days.

Any comments and tips are highly appreciated!

Ok, you most likely have 2 problems.

1/ The oil on the ground and the dropping to neutral indicates a failing Accumulator. (easy to change)

2/ As the accumulator is not able to hold pressure the pump keeps running all the time trying to keep up pressure. This accelerates wear in the brushes / burns them out. So you most likely will need to replace the pump or renew the brushes. But before doing either with he pump try replacing the pump relay, accelerated use can also burn out the relay contacts.

Baz

Thanks for your input! Ok, I will order a new accumulator and get a new relay. I have driven the car less than a kilometre after noticing the problems. Hopefully the pump is okay, it has been replaced about two years ago.

Just be aware, you need to depressurise the system before changing the accumulator!!

Baz

Update:

I have removed the battery and tried to loosen the accumulator, but I didn't manage to get it off. I tried to unscrew it with an adjustable wrench, but there doesn't seem to be enough space to get a good grip from the accumulator. One of the edges from the accumulator's bolt seem a bit round. I'm not sure if the accumulator is rusted. Any advice on how to get that thing removed? Would rust removal CRC and some heat help?

13329730_10209903259923209_1374024857_n.jpg?oh=0e19fdb1fc65e694b75a31c6125153f2&oe=574E05D7

You need to get a 27mm spanner and grind the sides of the spanner so it is the same thickness as the Accumulators moulded bolt. This will allow you to get a good fit on it, then get a tube of sort that can go over the other end of the spanner to use as a Breaker Bar, or as I like to call them, a "Force Multiplier" ! :Big Grin:

Baz

Yup, size 27, and the flatter wrench sure helps. I do mine with a normal wrench, but you have to keep the wrench really straight or it'll catch the actuator body and not turn.

Aaaargh I'm going mad! I managed to replace the accumulator and the test drive went nicely. However, today after about 50 km of driving the exact same problem occurred: selespeed warning light flashing and the car won't change gear. After a few seconds, the problem disappears and selespeed works for a brief moment. Again, I noticed oil leaking on to the ground. I topped up the slespeed oil and the car drove fine, so that seems to be the reason. Any pointers? I'm getting really desperate?

Just a guess but that might be the expulsion of air trapped in the Selespeed hydraulic circuit during accumulator change, should be fine once the Selespeed fluid has filled the system properly.