Sign in to follow this  
AlfaKay

Pump Relay Burns!

Hi,

I've recently changed the 50A pump relay on my 2005 147 2.0 TS (109,000km) after the "Selespeed System Failure" warning came up. It worked fine for a short while then it failed again. Relay has gone bad! Does anyone have a clear idea why? What's the fix?

No apparent leaks.

PS: I bought the car recently and it was about to be junked. Previous owner must have tried to fix it too. I love Alfa's so I'm welling to fix it, if cost is reasonable.

Thank you.

Well the usual reason for the failure of the Pump relay is it operating continuously, usually due to a faulty Accumulator not holding pressure and the pump having to run constantly to keep the pressure up.

Whilst sitting stationary, engine off, with the key in MAR & foot on the brake see how many gear changes you can get before you hear the whine of the pump. 2-3 changes is the norm, if the pump runs every change, time for a new Accumulator.

Baz

• Like 1

Hi,

I just around installing a new accumulator today. Car runs fine. If I don't get back with another post, this will mean: Mission Accomplished!.

Thank you Turismo.

Cheer.

Edited by AlfaKay