Sign in to follow this  
engine.only

Car Starts But Selespeed Light Flashing

Hi everyone. I'm a newbie here but on my 3rd alfa 156 selespeed - seven and a half years of fun without problems! First I had a 2001 sportwagon TS 155, then a 2002 sportwagon TS 150 and now I'm driving a 65,000 mile 2003 JTS selespeed saloon and have had it 3 months with no problems until this week...........

When i first start the car (left in neutral overnight now so i know it will start) the selespeed gear light flashes and beeps and no gear can be selected (is this a sign of low hydraulic pressure?). I leave the car to warm up for 3 to 4 minutes and eventually the flashing stops and I can hear the box trying to select gears or move something on its own. I then try and select 1st or R and it shows its selected on the dash but always stalls with a bang as soon as i try to pull away. I then re-start the engine and everything works perfectly for the rest of the journey/day as if the jolt moved a bad connection? If the car is left for a number of hours and cools down I have the same problem again but if I'm on a journey i can stop, switch off and come back after 30mins/ 1 hour and all still great.

Error codes on multiecuscan consistently show P1703 engine shutdown from auto gearbox and P1743 clutch sensor signal low and once it had P0725 engine speed no signal.

The car had the clutch done a year ago and supposedly calibrated so hopefully not that

Clutch rod length 27.7 (bit short I know)

Pump primes for 14 secs when door opened

Checked tutela oil level and it was on min so topped up - no change

What do you reckon folks? Any help appreciated or recommendations for a good selespeed mechanic in Oxfordshire/Berkshire

Thanks Smaky. So thats the two big loom connectors near the firewall at the back of the engine, the actuator sensors, the connector on the engine side of the battery - any others? Whats the grey metal box with connectors under the selespeed oil reservoir cover? Do I need to disconnect the battery while I clean connectors? Out of interest I waggled the two connectors behind the engine yesterday and when i switched the ignition on the fan came on even though the car was cold - think I must of disturbed a connection there so maybe they are not great. Have you ever used connector gel?

Update - replaced accumulator using Smakys guide last week and have since driven the car everyday for 9 days and 230 miles and everything is still working perfectly. :Smug: Long may it continue........