Sign in to follow this  
Grimsqueaker

Power Steering Pipe Failures/leak

Evening folks

After all the trials and tribulations since my twin spark silly speed spat its timing tensioner out.

I was looking at being alfaless again, however I have just found a black silly speed that has had a power steering pipe fail, now before EU03TZE goes to be scrapped, how much of the power steering is best to remove, as I don't know exactly where this new (possible) one has failed?

Is there a common failure point?

Fingers crossed :)

If it's defiantly a pipe I'd take as much as possible, including the pump, and to be honest it's pretty straightforward, unless it's the fitting where the pipe meets the rack, and even that isn't too bad so it may be worth taking it out lock.stock and barrel.

This is the bit from the description in the Ad

All working except power steering I suspect that a hose has burst or pump has failed as it throws the fluid out very quickly

Probably not much then. If you are scrapping the other car it may be worth keeping hold of as many bits as you can. Defiantly the rev counter, they can be a bugger to find with the LCD display.

yep i was going to be scrapping it today, but now this one has turned up i will hold on to it till i have had the other one here for a good few days :)

In the O/s front wheel arch, remove the wheel and inspection cover, to the tor right you'll see the steering pipes pass through a bracket, it is inside this bracket they normally rot and leak, simple fix with a length of hose and 2 clamps on the one that's leaking.

OK then, there is either a fault with the spindle seal of one of the 2 connections on the back then, the lower one is the rigid pipe, this has an adaptor as well where it screws into the pump, the upper line is just the feed which is a push on pipe with an R-clic clamp. So it may be as simple as the clamp has sliced the hose.

Well I have picked it up, put some power steering fluid in and no leak that I could find, power steering still wasn't working,

Previous owner said that when it stopped working it was being driven when it "went bang and there was fluid everywhere"

Any ideas?

It appears that the reservoir is pressurising and blowing the cap off, at least that's the only thing I could come up with after opening the bonnet and finding fluid everywhere and the cap resting next to where it should be.

Ah not an indicator of what's happened then?

Well I'm halfway through pulling the pas system out the latest acquisition,

Already pulled the system out the donor car.

Would have probably finished it were it not for my magical self hiding spanners,

My only worry is that if I can't see any obvious fault it is going to turn out to be the rack that's karked.

Failure of these racks is so rare that the companies that claim to repair them only ever replace the track rods, ball joints, clean them up and spray them, so I think you're heading up the wrong path here.