ralphalfa

Lambda Problem?

The engine management light has come on twice and gone out after a few days. I suspect a lambda, as one was replaced with a non-OEM version a few years back when I had similar symptoms. I don't have ECUscan. The car is a 156 2001 TS 2.0 with twin lambda sensors in the manifold (CF3?). If i unplug the sensor, the light goes out and am I right in thinking this proves it to be a duff sensor.

I have seen Alfashop selling one for about £59 and Amazon are advertising one at about £45 which they say is Bosch. Any knowledge about which yo go for, or get one from the Main Stealers?

Ralph

The diagnosis isn't thorough and I wouldn't use it as conclusive, best thing to do is have the fault codes read and go from there.

Same problem here. Light came on few times while driving, I switch off, restart and light goes off after a while. Didnt realy bother to investigate further. Looks like maf has completely died of this. Got new maf, exact same problem again. Light stays on with 1km old maf... Can it be faulty lambdas?

Light would come on when decelerating against downhill towards a stop, maybe because of excessive exhaust gasses?

Must say though, that previous maf was a Pierburg make, and latest was Bosch, got it from Goldwagen, a VW / Opel / Vauxhaul parts store so it could be fake, as apparently the Opel corsa 1.7dti uses the exact same maf as the 156...?

Also recently started noticing a fuel fumes smell coming from near fuel cap/wheel arch... Read it could be a faulty fuel pump...

Could it all be related?

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Edited by Angelom

Could very well be, lift out the rear seat and boot carpet and remove the cover panel to the fuel pump, if it's leaking then it could be allowing air into the fuel and this is what is probably throwing the emisions off and causing the EML to come on, Also check for splits in the air inlet ducts as these too can affect the readings.

What's your thoughts on the light mostly coming on when decelerating towards stops or "freeing" (foot off accelerator and brakes) on downhills?

How can I diagnose the lambda without diagnostics? Oh, forgot to say that cat box has been removed when freeflow exhaust system was fitted. Never had any problems after it was fitted until now...

What's your thoughts on the light mostly coming on when decelerating towards stops or "freeing" (foot off accelerator and brakes) on downhills?

I would think that'll show up as a throttle body problem.

How can I diagnose the lambda without diagnostics? Oh, forgot to say that cat box has been removed when freeflow exhaust system was fitted. Never had any problems after it was fitted until now...

Without diagnostics it's pretty much impossible to nail a Lambda, so many syptoms for lambdas can also be other things... normally a coil pack.

Not maybe too much exhaust gasses causing the problem?

May have find the problem... Yikes, seems to be... only a dodgy battery...

In the meantime bought new (2nd hand) 2008 Toyota Corolla 1.6 Mmt Gearbox... I know, I know... but having had the selespeed for almost 6 years, I thought: Why not?

Anyhow, Sele has been standing for a while, me not wanting to drive with ecu light on/dodgy maf, hence flat battery... Had battery fully charged at workshop, car starts fine, No ecu light...

Will have battery fully tested this morning, if faulty, replace with new one, if not, trip to auto elec to check for correct charging/alternator.

What is the correct size battery? Some battery shop replaced battery 3 years ago with smaller (646, 55aH) battery, I know there was a bigger one in there, I think 652...?

Will update

Update: Battery tested fine, alternator also chargingfine. Also no interior or exterior lights that could drain battery.

Still have flashing/dipping spedo needle though when high beams / indicators on.

Earth wires seems fine, all lights wiring also seems fine... Maybe faulty spedo?

Yep, failure light is on, but that is due to right rear tail light chip that has blown on rev counter a long time ago, already took the bulb out

My sele had the left tail light on ever so slightly, changed the rev counter. All well. While afterwards same thing happened on right tail light. Cant see any burnt chips though on the new board. Both sides using the same chip or different chips? Still got the old board if I can maybe just replace the faulty chip on new board?

Here is pic with clearly blown chip for left tail light, which chip is the one for the right tail light if not the same? Opposite side?

3ae92478fad411d03e535376c9e791fe.jpg

Is ir not just possible to swop the chip as I have got a spare rev counter for parts