alfizta

Runaway Diesel Engine

would like to know Smakys experience on this.

how runaway diesels got repaired by you and got away with life?

In what way?

Runaway diesels are only using the oil from the sump to continue running, the only ways this can happen is worn piston rings, valve stem seals, or turbo bearing seals. In any case the faulty part needs to be replaced. To stop the engine select a high gear and release the clutch whilst stamping on the brakes to stall it.

happened to me driving the misses volvo c30...

hasn't been officially confirmed yet, but the mechanic said it could be a caused by a recent DPF regeneration, engine oil level getting high, and getting into the intake... this is all new to me. if I knew what to do at the time... regrets, regrets...

Mmmmm, well I've never seen that, DPF regen has nothing to do with oil level and it certainly doesn't increase it, though the oil may expand a little from heating up a fraction more than normal running it certainly wouldn't grow that much, but if there was already too much oil in the engine then possibly it could runaway, but I think I'd be taking off the turbo hoses to see if there is oil before and after the turbo....also if it is the 2.4JTD in the C30 then it is essentially the same as the CF3 10V in the 156.

turbo was the first thing that occurred to me. but mechanic said oil level was ok by the end of the runaway.

read that in regen cycle, some diesel could run trough piston rings into the engine block and dilute the engine oil, raising the oil level...

the engine in question the 1.6L, PSA or Ford sourced...

could a blown head gasket cause the same?

It's possible that a failed piston ring would allow enough blow by to pressurise the crank case and force oil vapour through the breathers towards the intake side but would that be enough to allow a runaway??? I think not, and it would also sound like a complete bag of spanners all the time. Whatever has caused this is connected to all for cylinder intakes, I can't be certain without seeing the car myself but I would as I said before seriously look at the turbo seals, the fords and pugs have a reputation for those and as the Volvo has the same engine then I think it's a good place to start.

And the amount of diesel that would be needed to wash by the pistons to raise the oil level would almost certainly hydrolock the cylinders and to major damage to the engine during a DPF regen.

thanks for all the info, Alex! will reply with full report in next days. we are just greatly disappointed with a car bought new and with impeccable maintenance just turned into scrap in a couple of minutes...

engine oil was actually above max level. could the car be regenerating the DPF more frequently while driving in the past 6 months or so, gradually increasing oil level, and then the final «kaput». could a blocked crankcase breather help this?

also found this recall to address a issue that could cause a runaway.

the fix is a ECM upgrade. do you think it would be enough?

http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/searches/expand.asp?uniqueID=464F7361E9524AFC8025771C0035A2A8&freeText=Blank&tx=

I'm aware of that one, but the real cause was the dipstick was too short (making the full mark higher in the sump) so when topped up there would be too much oil and crank case pressure was pushing oil through the breathers, if someone has put too much oil in yours then yes, this could be the answer and because of this it's worth approaching the main dealer with that info.

just an update. days ago knew that these cars have to replace the DPF at 120 000 km as part of the regular scheduled maintenance.

that hasn't been done. about 50 000 km later, regeneration at the workshop, months later, this.