peter2

Gta Dropping To N

Hi all,

I'm posting on behalf of a friend of mine, who, good for him, owns a stunning 147 GTA SS, which occasionally slips into N from 1st, both with car moving and at rest; after that it would not engage 1st any more, and he is forced to take off in 2nd. Sometimes it does not give any error on BC. When an error is detected and stored, it is the ""gear position/engage sensor". It is necessary to say that long ago he substituted the big multipole connector (N20?) with a waterproof, high-end, compliant to military prescriptions one.

In order to temporary solve the problem he just needs to unplug and plug again the the connectors to those sensors, sometimes even just moving the wires a little works. Every 2-3000 km the problem is there again.

is the problem in the sensors, the wiring or the gear?

thanks

• Like 1

I think the problem is most likely to be the engagement sensor, on the GTA SS this is located on the selector block underneath the ABS unit,

147%20ss_zpsc7mzqude.jpg

The sensors can be swapped round to see if the fault moves, and if it does then you have proved it is the sensor.

• Like 1

Hi, I'm the owner of the GTA in question. I wanted to say, as not said by my friend peter2, that the sensors in question have already been replaced 2 times in about 2 years, the last few months ago. Without solving the problem that recurs every 2-3000 km. And that just disappears for other 2-3000 km simply unplugging and plugging the connectors and/or moving its wires connected to them. So I've got the new connectors and time permitting will make them replace by lengthen the cables.. I think this maybe the solutions of this problem. What do u think about ?

Tnx !

Edited by LucaGTA

I'm thinking it's unlikely to be the connector, unless you have some poorly soldered connections, I would think that the car is still on the original battery and this is starting to degrade, have you tested the battery? Normally they don't show problems till you do the drop test (this shows how many CCA it really can produce), if it drops too low then it can clear the learnt parameters in the ECU which will then think there is a problem with the sensors and this could be when you are getting the problems.

• Like 1

Hello , I have changed about 3 batteries in 8 years that I own the GTA . The last has less than a year old and is a Varta AGM also increased from the original. Exclude electrical problems arising from it , I checked the voltages and are in place . I own an official Fiat Examiner Smart for years and I did all the tests and reset possible , but precisely the problem seems to disappear only by disconnecting and reconnecting the connectors of the sensors which , I repeat , appear with their wiring very short . Giving to think that with vibration and engine heat , loosening and do not make good contact , hence the relative error after a certain number of kilometers .

EDIT:

I also add that with Examiner connected I tried to move , either disconnect the connectors of the two sensors in question and I appeared exactly the same error code of me when the problem arises . I am relatively sure that the problem is in the connectors and / or in the relative short / ruined cables. However it is not an easy job for lack of space to replace them , also because it 's not easy to find the connectors that I found with difficulty.. :(

Edited by LucaGTA

If you've done all that then I will go along with your diagnosis, it very well could be the connectors to the sensors, they are pretty common connectors and are available through Fiat, Citroen, Peugeot, BMW, Merc or any other marque which has used the position sensors on throttle bodies or gearboxes.

• Like 1