bazzbazz

No Jts For 147

Hey Smaky,

I am curious, in 2002/2003 the 156 production changed from TS to JTS engine, but the 147 stayed with

the TS for its whole series.

Anyone know the official reason why?

Baz

The JTS was tested in the 147, but as this is a hairdressers car they decided to just stick with the TS, JTD and V6, though the GT (based on the 147) did get the JTS the warning bells were ringing about the poor longevity of the engine and when the facelift time of the 147 approached the JTS idea was scrapped by the bean counters at FIAT, mainly because the twinair was on the way and it was costing a bomb, basically the JTS is a train wreck of an engine design, basically a hybrid of the TS and Ecotec I can only say there is one good thing about it, when it is on song, no other normally aspirated engine can deliver the power (165Bhp against the 2.0TS' 155 or 150 dependant on euro cat) with such volume or smoothness throughout the range, but that doesn't last long and after about 50K miles you're topping up the oil more than fuel tank, suffering misfires as the coils burn out, failing emmisions as the pistons wear away, blowing head gaskets as the water manifold leaks, loosing power as the injectors clog up with soot and constantly getting failing Lambda warnings for no reason other than GM couldn't spec the design for the connectors with long enough pins in the contacts.

No, don't hold back, tell us what you REALLY think of the JTS. :He He: :Big Grin:

I must admit, I'm a little biased towards my TS myself.

Baz

I'm not biased in this, I have all the engines I've listed in my fleet, the 2.0 JTS when young is a cracking engine, but like a middle aged house wife, when it hits 40 everything starts to go south.

weren't the jts engines updated by 2004 and got better? it is a big a shame, because it really looks good on paper (efficiency, power and low end torque).

There was a rework to the piston ring spacing when the GT got it but all the other problems remained, and as they wanted to go back to chains then the 2.0 JTS was dead anyway, so development of the 2.0 JTS was halted in favour of the 2.2 and 3.2 JTS' used in the 159, Brera/Spider etc.