M.J.S

New Gtv!

Howdy Chaps,

So after a few years of Alfa ownership I've added to our collection. This time it is a 2001 GTV V6 :)

A couple of hundred miles on and there are a few niggles. Can you help?

1. the central locking does not work. 1 key seems to work (light comes on) and the other is dead even with a new battery.

2. The fan does not work, it was not connected. I connected it and it fired up full blast with the engine off. I had to disconnect the fan to stop it.

3. the drivers lock does not always work, sometimes it locks then unlocks straight away.

4. finally the code immobiliser does not always go out. Is there a way to replace the ariel/anetnna? is that the likely cause? All 4 of the keys will sometimes work then not work with this error so it feels like the antenna to me. Is there a good place to get a new one? Is there a fitting guide?

can anyone suggest anything to help with these?

Thanks!

Edited by M.J.S

A step up from a 20V tractor.

Anyway the issues you have there are all conjucent with the group of relays behind the O/S headlight. EXCEPT the door locks, that one is probably a badly fitted door card or bent door knob bar. Nothing that couldn't be sorted in a day, and the key is probably just a button...I have loads of them here.

• Like 1

HI Smaky,

How things? Are you still in the Cotswolds? I might have to make an appointment at some time.

The relays, are they easy to get to? is there any way I can test them?

You are right, it is quite a step up!

Relays are pretty easy to test, power the small pins and see if continuity is across the main ones, most relays have a diagram on the side and the pins are numbered so it's pretty simple.

• Like 1

Relays are pretty easy to test, power the small pins and see if continuity is across the main ones, most relays have a diagram on the side and the pins are numbered so it's pretty simple.

So I've been able to diagnose/fix the fan, its the heater resistor. I swapped over the one from teh 156 and it works :)

So the relays... and the cental locking and key code thingy.... thats next.

do you have a diagram/pic of the relays/location? But for tonight its time to open the booze.

Cheers, I'll take a look next time I can get out there. Hopefully one evening this week :)

Hi Smaky,

Well I owe this an update....

Umm no, I've managed to replace the rear discs and pads and identify an oil leak from the front rocker cover gasket (I think).

Apart from that life, children. chicken pox, and holidays have gotten in the way of being able to investigate it.

I've found the gasket, now wondering if I can do that as well. It seems more important than the cental locking. So is there a guide on replaing the front rocker gasket? What is the correct torque for the bolts to replace the cover?

If that goes well I'll look at the relays.

A note with the locking, it seems to be okay if i hold the key in position when it locks for a second. Odd!

The immobiliser for hte last week has not been an issue, would that suggest a loose connection somewhere?

Oh we've managed to sell the 147, so back down to the 20v tractor and the GTV now

Edited by M.J.S

looks like i've found the cylinder head cover fastening screw torgue = 9-11Nm

Yes.

The locking issue is going to be the rods mis-shaped from people removing the door card in the past, easy to bend them the wrong way but hard to correct it.