flyblo5

10 Years Ago Today

Since I got my 156 2.0TS Selespeed Sportwagon, and I still haven't found anything else I'd rather have.

The thing is when I got her it was a bit of a compromise.

I had decided to ditch the company car (VW Passat tdi) opt out and supply my own vehicle. I spent a lot of time comparing just about every mid size Diesel saloon car based on buying a 2 year old car, keeping it for a further 3 years and taking in to account purchase price, servicing, running costs based on 45k per year and resale value. I can't remember all the details but the best option was the Mercedes C Class followed by the Ford Mondeo and a load of others with the Alfa 156 second from bottom, only the Mazda 6 was lower, because of it's horrible (even by Alfa standards) resale value.

After many different test drives it was obvious that my cost comparison was pointless because the car I wanted was the 156 2.4JTD and it didn't matter what my bit of paper said about what was the best option.

The problem was that back then the only Major manufacturers that didn't have an auto Diesel were Mazda and Alfa and I needed an Auto because of my gammie left knee.

I looked at other versions and decided that I should have the JTD, Wanted the 2.5V6 Q system but because of the fuel consumption and mileage decided the 2.0TS was a compromise and it did have an Auto (sort of ) gearbox. Then had to find one. Had to be Black with Grey leather interior and a Sportwagon because they look better. The only one I could get at the time was just over 3 years old had more miles on it than I wanted and was Blue (Cosmo blu so nearly black) but it had the correct interior so I parted with my hard earned cash and the rest is history.

We have had our ups and downs and she's a bit like triggers broom but all in all I've never looked back. Not bad for a compromise.

I have a Sele 147 and a 2.4JTD 156 SW, unfortunately sat on my drive SORNed because of an MOT fail.

I replaced the 156 with a 320d tourer, but am thinking 156 Sele SW is the way to go, the Sele is a cracking system and the 2.0 twinny is such a good engine, lazy and relaxed when you want it to be be, but ready to go play at any time. :)

Not to mention the slight growl at just under 3000rpm. It's as if she's daring you saying "go on, you know you want to"

Here's to another 10 years! If the car can keep itself from falling apart, that is, but I love my Selespeed too, that growl is something!

I can't imagine keeping a car for 10 years :o. Think my record so far is just under 2 years :LOL: