peter2

Pressure Falling Too Fast: Accumulator Or What?

Hi guys!

I'm very happy because my ss has been running flawlessly for over a year now (however i have to admit that my miling has gone down a lot though).

while checking for the status of the clutch rod (i found it is 29.2 mm, so soon i will reset it), i found that the time between two pump primes is less than two minutes (no operation in the meanwhile obviously): isn't it too short?

Now the question: is it the accumulator or something else? then what could it be?

my accumulator has 170k Km...

thanks a lot!

could not find cheaper than 57 £ (shop4parts) and it's usually more expensive to.

thanks eivindcl,

why on earth don't i receive emails on post replies??

Anyway, i read some old topics stating that exactly the same symptoms can be either caused by a faulty accumulator or a faulty seal on some ev....which way should i try first? maybe both?

PS is Smaky still around?

Priming every 5-10 minutes with engine off is more like it, 10 minutes would be perfect.

Replacing the accumulator would be the first to do, you are lucky to get 170k km out of it. But you should check for other leakages and see if the oil level stays constant.

Replace the gear box oil to for good measure ;)

How often should the pump prime when car is on neutral and the engine is on idle? In my 156 it primes every 8s, I wonder if it's normal.

Edited by radek-j

8s is WAY too often!

the problem is that, as for my case, the fast drop of the pressure could be due to both a faulty accumulator or an internal leakage, or both!

i will change mine anyway....170k km are enough, its time to retire!

Could you check for me how often your pump primes? Just start the engine and listen to the pump. It's important that the engine will be running during the test. In my car pump primes every ~3 minutes when the engine is off and every 8s when engine is running on idle.

with both engine running or off it primes every 1-2 mins.

i wonder why you have such a hhuge difference between the two situations.

I'm puzzled :Confused:

Guess it has something to do with the clutch - maybe cylinder or ev0 are faulty or leaking?

I've recently replaced the whole clutch cylinder assembly because I had some ss oil spills on the gearbox, below the clutch cylinder. Right now there are no spills (at least I haven't noticed any).

I'm going to observe the car for couple of days, maybe I'll find some ss oil leaks.

Edited by radek-j

A pump which is priming every 1 - 2 minutes like yours is most certainly NOT the accumulator. This will most likely be the seals on the EV0 valve located under the pressure sensor.

P.S. I am about, just extremely busy atm.

i had replaced the ev0 at 100k km (now the car has 170k km), while the accumulator has never been changed...so i supposed the latter would be the one to blame....damn! :Black Eye:

almost 100 euros thrown away!

may i ask why the timing of primes makes you so confident on blaming the ev0 seals?

Edited by peter2

The EV0 is the component which holds the pressure in the accumulator ready to be used when an input is made, an accumulator failure will result in the pump priming every 15 seconds for about 1/2 a second a shot, you would also get a "Pump relay faulty" code and a double beep from the dash every minute to let you know there is a fault. If you are not getting a beep then it is either the seals on the EV0, a leak from the supply pipe or low fluid in the reservoir which are causing the issue, low fluid though could be a result of the leaky pipe or seals in the selector chamber of the actuator.

thanks for the explanation

when you say "faulty accumulator" you mean with a hole in the membrane? is it the only way for an accumulator to fail?