alfapat

Sloppy Gear Change

Trawling the threads here to find a resolve for improving the gear change on the 147 .

The problem of sloppy gears on threads seem to fade as to what might be a cure.Or am I am missing something?

Losing third, getting blocked including 5th and slippin to 4th from 5th is just a pain. Gearlever definitely not stiff

Can anyone help please.

Just found this post from Smaky

"It will be te small cup which fits in from underneath being worn, or worse the gearstick mounting being cracked, not the end of the world but the exhaust and center tunnel need to be dropped to replace either, merely a few hours work "

Sounds like more hours than a few , any favourite places to source this part before I dismantle please?

Let me say for a rotten gear change, to go and repair this is a pig of a job , all for the sake of a very small plastic bush ------------ Only Alfa would manage something like this to go wrong , don't get me wrong , I love them!Im sure it will improve things on the gearchange front as it' s hellish at the moment

Only thing is having gone this length to remove the gearstick and components shear some four rusty bolts etc. and not replace the vertical bush which is also a puzzle to remove cause you have to to get the small bush out to replace. It seems a risk as although it doesn't have the play /wear that the side bush has its silly not to replace.

So if anyone can tell me or know if its replaceable then please let me know .

"It will be te small cup which fits in from underneath being worn, or worse the gearstick mounting being cracked, not the end of the world but the exhaust and center tunnel need to be dropped to replace either, merely a few hours work "

Sounds like more hours than a few , any favourite places to source this part before I dismantle please?

Is this what you're looking for?

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item4182cac5bb

...or this one, which has a pic:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item3f24f68dcf

Oh, and there's these too:

http://www.ebay.co.u...=item1e66ac88d9

...this one as well:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-genuine-Alfa-Romeo-147-Gear-change-bracket-lever-rod-housing-55191141-/231351694535?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item35dda2b4c7

Edited by Sooty Si

I'm on the 3.2 GT and I'm guessing the gearshift mechanism part number on my car is the same as the JTD.

Am being told by a non alfa workshop that my gear shift is floppy up and down (side to side is fine) is possibly due to those worn parts.

But I'll need some help here guys, to find out if that's true

Edited by Saabretooth

That's not the 147 setup

Your correct Smaky , so replaced side bush and couldn't find vertical bush on the gearstick but put it all together not realising I had seen the part earlier , things were not easy to reassemble , however its all done and the gearshift has a dramatic improvement after realising that the shaft ontop of the gearbox was partially seized as well , so accelerating the wear on the side bush.

Not for a job on your own , needs a little help from friend. Neither bush expensive.

Having an issue with gear shifter accuracy. its smooth and slides in when engine is off, but once its running and on the move, its not as accurate.

I'm hazarding a guess that its the engine mounts.... can someone help to verify if this is true?

It won't be the mounts, first thing to do is replace the gearbox oil, see if that changes anything and then start to think mechanicals, which I think would more likely be a worn out clutch.

Hmm should have changed the larger vertical bush at the time , didn't recognize the part at the time was available , never mind not doing again at the moment.

I changed the mount and clutch just this week. The shifts feel better and the clutch pedal is a lot smoother with a nice spring to it.

But the gear stick itself is still floppy forwards and back without engaging anything yet

Where can I find this little vertical bush etc etc etc........ damn me for not not knowing what it looks like but can someone show me what it is so I can buy it