K9d

Decision Time.

My 156 is starting to show its age and mileage.

Its a 51 plate 2.4 JTD with almost 200,000 miles on the clock.

The current issues are :-

It looses coolant so needs topping up every few weeks, it has always been a bit reluctant to start, taking a few seconds of turning over, but recently has started to take longer.

All 4 tyres are close to the legal limit, with the rears wearing on the inside a lot more than the outside, so possibly a suspension issue.

Today I noticed a bit of clutch slip, this was full throttle uphill changing from 3rd to 5th, I briefly used 4th but due to an EML/overboost issue I had to change quickly to 5th.

There is a bit of smoke on start up.

One of the aux belt pulleys is a bit tight causing the aux belt to slip on start up for about a minute, worse on wet days.

On the plus side I still like the car after almost 4 years of ownership, the body work is in good condition, apart from some damage on the rear that's been there since I bought it.

I have to decide whether to spend the money getting her sorted out or buy something else.

If I do buy another car I then have to decide what to buy, I'm looking for something that will be economical so needs to be diesel, I like the space of the SW so will need to be either a SW/Estate or a large hatchback.

I like the way the 156 drives so it will need to be comfortable plus sporty

I'm a tight bugger so it will have to be cheap :), £1-2K

Most importantly it will have to be a good looking car.

Kathy recently suggested we should get a BMW or an Audi, I slapped her for the Audi bit, but wouldn't be adverse to a BMW.

I'm looking for suggestions for a replacement or should I stick with what I've got ?

Saab 9-3 estate good looking, same engine as the1.9 jtd in the alfas I believe

Saab is a good call, I like something that isn't too common. :thumbs:

The link doesn't work for me :(

Probably because it's a link from the mobile site. There's a some under 2k only a couple with lowish mileage. I would have one as my next car tbh. Look really nice I think

Saab 9-3 estate good looking, same engine as the1.9 jtd in the alfas I believe

Good reason not to buy one then :)

Not a good engine gearbox shit also

Very nice

I like those. His description is a bit off tho, they are not gta teles and I very much doubt it will do 0-60 in 6 secs

I like them too, but find they're best when on all 4 wheels :bluecry:

If I bought it I could then use the set of wheels I have in my garage. :)

Been looking at some 159 SW, it would have to be the 2.4 though and my budget would have to increase.

Was driving my 156 today and still love the car, damn thing is too good and makes it difficult for me to decide what to do.

:yay: I've found the dream car.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2007-PROTON-IMPIAN-1-6-GSX-110-/350996608884?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item51b9073774

Why the fuck does anyone buy pieces of shit like this, are they so obsessed with having a brand new car that they forget to look at what they're buying. :nonono:

I'm struggling, after several days of trawling ebay and autotrader I haven't found anything that takes my fancy and now Kathy is suggesting a MKI Fiat Multipla, I fear things are going from bad to worse. :(

In fairness she did also suggest a DB7 or an RX8, not sure they quite fit the economical and large criteria but I would cope :LOL:

Rx8 are dire on economy, worse than a standard gta. Plus they have starting issues. But look bloody nice

potential engine issues and lack of economy put me off the RX8, a £15K starting price put the DB7 out of range :(

I have been thinking Jag, I guess as I'm a granddad now perhaps I should get a granddad car. :LOL:

Bloody woman, she doesn't like the X type but does want an XK8, I offered to buy her an XK8 for her 40th this year and she didn't want it, they are strange creatures and I don't understand them. :nonono:

You will never fully understand a woman they are funny creatures and must be approached with caution at all times. In fact they should come with a warning label.

Very sensible advice, I wish I'd heard it years ago. :)

The X type is appealing to me, but it needs to be the right colour.

I like the X type diesel unit supposed to be really good. The floor plan is the same as a ford mondeo and doesn't handle too bad tbh. Mate of mine has one and loves his.

I have to wait for my crappy Peugeot to use up all its fuel, who'd have know a £90 car would be so shit :LOL:, the rear suspension has seized and it bounces around worse than tigger. :(

I need to do 2,237 miles in the 156 to get it to 200,000, the MOT is due in Nov so I had better get motoring, I've vowed to take it to 200k.

Just found this, its 5 miles down the road,at that price I might just buy it, I know its not a diesel or an estate but a lot of car for sod all money :cool:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jaguar-X-type-2002-/281440720691?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item41872c9733

Get a black jag x type estate. Job jobbed. Or a V6, but paint the wood so you can't see it :D