Sign in to follow this  
Alfa156Melb

Strange Grinding/resonance Mid Corner Since Q2 Fitted

So I had a Q2 fitted a couple of weeks ago and went on a spirited drive yesterday with some other Alfa friends in the hills....

I noticed a strange mechanical noise - a sort of grinding, or a resonance under power around tight bends - left hand bends :Worried:

It's at a frequency that seems to vibrate the whole body of the car causing an audible vibration that you can also feel..

At first I wondered if it was tyres slipping under the torque bias.. but it's not that - at least I don't think it is.. It's not the power steering - totally different noise.

Are the Q2's known to be mechanically noisy like this? Or should i get the mechanic to check it?

So the shimming was out and one of the bearings ate itself to pieces....

Metal chunks in burnt oil tells me the gearbox is no doubt damaged as a result.. so not had a good day!

I have access to a spare box thankfully, and hopefully I'll know the extent of the damage sometime tomorrow.

If you go onto the other forum there are loads of threads like this and the many boxes I opened up, which had been modified by AUTOLUSSO, normally had the original shim in from when a stock diff was fitted, if the shim is too loose then endfloat occurs and this allows the whole diff to bounce on the bearings (I'd give them a few hundred miles), if the shim is too thick then the bearings get squashed, this makes the rollers chew up the cage and fine particles them get flushed through all the other components in the box, either way the box needs a rebuild and flush, but Melb, yours needs new bearings too.

Yes that's what we originally thought too.. However in my case it turned out to be a symptom of a previous repair job...

Before I owned the car, the diff blew and the muppet replaced it with an OEM... it didn't take out the gearbox though, oinly punched a hole through the diff housing.

That hole was welded up.. not a bad job, but there was some weld protruding into the housing.

The crownwheel, after the Q2 installation, ended up rubbing against the weld when under load.

Those metal flakes were alloy..

Looking at the old weld, you can see evidence of the original diff scraping against it, but after time, it would have sorted itself out.. I wonder why nothing was done about it..

So mostly all sorted.

Having said that, we went on an Ausalfa.com drive yesterday - epic! but now I'm noticing a whine coming from 6th gear and some other strange noises coming from the box.. so i fear damage has been done.

Edited by Alfa156Melb

I had a noise on corners and smaky was bang on. shim was too thin but I had two gearboxes and luckily the other box had the right shim size for my current box. There must be loads of owners out there with similar issues