Angelom

Outer Cv Joints

Sup guys and girls? Might look like I'm only on here when I'm stuck but not true, just been very busy, bought new house, still busy moving. Still had time to read some posts though.

Needles to say, the upgrade to the 159 has been postponed:( ,hence...

Hearing lefthand cv starting to make clapping sound when turning full hard right, anyone got a diy thread or tips on replacing them?

Edited by Angelom

I used the split type that you glue on my 156, I'm sure Smaky won't approve but its a lot easier. :)

They're OK for a temporary fix, but the problem here is wear to the CV joint itself, which must be replaced,

Jack up and support the offending side,

Remove the wheel,

Undo the 36mm hub nut,

Undo the 6 inboard cv joint bolts, 6mm allen and 13mm nut OR 8mm allen and 17mm nut,

Remove the 17mm nut from the upper drop link ball joint and poke the ball joint out of the upright,

Disconnect the upper arm ball joint,

Remove the ABS, brake hose and pad wear cable (if applicable) from their supports on the upright,

Remove the 19mm fork to lower arm bolt,

Tap the outer CV joint through the hub, push down on the lower arm whilst swinging the driveshaft and the fork forwards, slide the drive shaft out taking care not to stress the brake hose,

Undo the clamps on the CV boot,

Clear away the grease from the centre of the joint to show the circlip legs, spread the legs whilst tapping off the joint, remove the old boot.

Simply refit in the opposite.

Damn, you make it sound so easy Smaky, lol, might take me all day but think I will have a go when I have the new cv joint.

You think I should do both or is it a matter of don't scratch where it doesn't itch?

If at first you do succeed, don't look too surprised