alfizta

Cambelt Change Without The Camlock Tool

this one is for Smaky :D

a mechanic told me he could change the twinspark cambelt without using the alfa romeo camlock tool. is that possible maintaining correct timing? are there any general cam locking tools?

thanks!

and if the timing is not right? is it possible to check it via OBD2 cable and software?

No I don't think you can, (but maybe wrong) normally there are marks on the sprockets but Smaky will confirm.

Could be any number of things driving style sticking brakes injectors air filter etc....Does your car have a MAF and when was it changed?

inlet air leak?

Edited by Gibot123

Gibot

she uses very little fuel on long journeys, but I think it could be better on short trips.

2 years tracking for minor faults... I think I still I have a minor air leak, but don't know where... I hear a whistle around 4000 rpm. some days ago I was messing the air filter box, because the hose after was a bit loose. now it is alright. then reset the fault codes, gone for a drive, then p0170 lambda integrator high signal poped, meaning too much oxygen on lambda, but now appearing at 4000 rpm. rubber intake sleeve is new.

MAF is old, but not sure it is the one.

major service, belts done, spark plugs, "everything" new, 20000 km ago.

Sometimes engine does not start (only noticed with warm engine). don't even hear spark ignition, but starter motor turns. starts at 2nd or 3rd try.

think she could pull better too... anyway, 3rd and 4th gear reach their maximum speed, I think.

p0130 and p1172 (TRA additive param too low), too, meaning injectors are being cut off too soon for some reason...

p1172 fixed. new MAF, but also fixed some vacuum leaks.

Edited by alfizta

you're not saving anything by not changing it if as Smaky says it's on its way out you'll end up stuck if it won't start . these are not that expensive and not terrible to change.

my 146 will be there for me when that day comes :D

The problem is, it might be fine on your way out, but leave you stranded when you wanna head home. It can also die halfway. Found out the hard way recently :Big Grin:

recently got my 156 to the garage for a scheduled service and, at the same time, a flat battery on my 146 :D that's bad luck, I guess...