StescoG66

Tight Bush.......

I'm a lazy bastard and can't be bothered typing it all out again. See link

www.alfa-pages.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=7201

This forum doesn't allow me to copy and paste text for some reason.....

I didnt read the thread but would have thought a tight bush was a good thing :He He:

I expected more from the thread title

Now that I have captivated your attention with a catchy thread title, the problem is altogether more prosaic . . . . Although lube will likely still be involved in the solution :rolleyes:

I purchased - from 2 separate sources just in case - replacement rear trailing arm bushes as the ones that came off the car had the texture of a digestive biscuit. However despite checking, double checking and triple checking they are too big by some 2.5mm. The part number appears to be the same for these across Sud, Sprint and up to 907b series 33.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/400110040634?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

The inner diameter on the arm is 42mm, the outer diameter of the bushes I have is 44.2mm. They simply won't fit as they are. So far I have tried

1- Compressing in on a 6 tonne press. Result - one burst bushing . . .

2- Putting bushing on to a bolt to act as a spindle, and with a bench grinder trying to take some excess material off. They seem to get wider the more I grind them . . . . . . heat presumably.

3- Again using a bolt as a spindle, clamp a drill into a vice with the bolt held in the chuck. Try to grind off while spinning with a file or a wood chisel. Again not making any visible or measurable impact.

I am sure I am not the only one to have encountered this, so am I doing something stupid and missing the obvious? What did anyone else do on their projects? Would heating the arm and freezing the bushes perhaps help?

Any advice appreciated.

icon_eek.gif

Ok now I've done the hard part for you let me give you the solution.

The bush on ebay is to replace the OEM bush in the OEM arm, if the arm is non OEM then it may have a different bush fitted originally of different dimensions, therfore it will not be a direct fit.

But also you need to ensure the alloy casing from the bush is also removed from the arm or the hole will be funnily enough, 2.5mm to small.

Thank you - again. I just can't seem to copy and paste on to this forum for some reason . . . .

Anyway- the nylon outer is removed from the old bushes. Arms are the original ones. The ebay items are identical to others I bought from Alfa Service earlier

Edited by StescoG66