So... I took the plunge and bought myself a machine polisher for my birthday...

Had a look over the detailing guides, just wondering if anyone else has one and had some handy tips and tricks for a first timer!

The goodies:

1966869_10151941398435583_2023061152_n.jpg1898174_10151941398695583_1054685355_n.jpg1743461_10151941398320583_747401326_n.jpg1926690_10151941398570583_1904815998_n.jpg

Never heard of that make, but the best tip I can give you is practice on an old banger first, never apply too much pressure with the mop as you'll burn the laquer and that is a nightmare and costly to replace, secondly, don't skimp on the product you use, Maguiars and Auto Glymm carry a premium because they are GOOD, but ALWAYS make sure the car is completely dry before polishing, claying though is best done during a shower.

• Like 1

Sadly lacking in old bangers, maybe I should convince my friend Lucy to let me practice on her car, it's only a Mazda. ;)

I've got Maguiars and Auto Glym, also picked up some Dodo Juice in Blue Velvet.

Thanks for the tip on the claying! Shouldn't be a problem in British weather...!

Where did you get the kit from? And how much? If you don't mind me asking :D

Where did you get the kit from? And how much? If you don't mind me asking :D

I got it off Amazon, just under £100: http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008ZCR2VA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Reviews looked good, just going to spend some time watching the YouTube videos.

I think I've spent about £300 on cleaning bits for Gemini now... :Shocked:

She's worth it though...

:cool:

K9d uses a polishing mop.

Try billygoat detailing on Facebook his work is very sexual :hubba:

• Like 1

He's got a thread on here too somewhere

I've just checked that out - I cannot wait until I can test this baby out now!

Also watching polishing videos. This is entirely normal, right?

I've just checked that out - I cannot wait until I can test this baby out now!

Also watching polishing videos. This is entirely normal, right?

Yes perfectly normal

Is that not the main detailing thread?

Yes it's about a gizzlion pages long :LOL:

Yes it's about a gizzlion pages long :LOL:

It might be me reading that that inspired me to get all this stuff! *easily influenced*

Practice on robs car, see if you can polish that rising sun out :LOL:

Your polisher is a DA (Dual Action) this is the safer option for a beginner, I went straight for a rotary, but the polish I use is very forgiving.

As Alex said make sure the car is clean first, wash, clay, paint cleaner (optional) then onto polishing.

If there is any dirt it will get picked up by the polisher and scratch the paint.

Don't put any pressure on the machine for horizontal surfaces let the weight of the machine do the work, use enough polish to make sure its not dry but not too much, keep the machine moving, try and go in straight lines not arcs.

Start slow with the lightest cut polish and lightest cut pad and work your way up to heavier cuts as your confidence grows, I tend to do an area about half a bonnet at a time.

If the mop drags or pulls its too dry, keep checking the temperature to make sure its not too hot.

But most of all have fun. :)

• Like 1

Welcome to the obsessives club, :LOL:

Not much to add to what's been said above, except check the condition of your car thoroughly before starting. If there's any rust bubbles or paint repairs then only apply products by hand, and very carefully at that. May sound stupid, but also make sure there's as much light (pref natural) as possible. (I speak from experience gained the hard way, having vigorously clayed what I thought was road tar in the near dark, only to discover in the morning that it was a badly executed stone chip repair that I'd pulled clean off. :$ )

If you want scary level advice (such as whether it's best to use nylon or horse hair brushes to dust your brushed aluminium gear lever surround) head over to http://www.detailingworld.co.uk You have been warned....

• Like 1

Welcome to the obsessives club, :LOL:

I think I was already well on my way, so why not go the whole hog! Some awesome tips and links here guys, thanks for the advice. I will post up some before and after shots when I get onto it, hopefully successful ones, not 'now this is what goes wrong when you use the wrong speed/pad on a DA polisher..'! :Shocked:

Standard wash, polish and interior today unfortunately - had to take her to get the thermostat done today, But's she's looking good - can't wait to see how much the machine polisher will improve it!

1920565_10151945247615583_1732121318_n.jpg10003211_10151945248280583_1082410306_n.jpg

Putting some dodo juice on this morning to protect her. Luckily I have booked time off work over Easter - that's when I'm going to do the full on detailing, although when I was waxing yesterday I have noticed a few dubious 'repairs' done to the paint by previous owners. Not sure how they'll stand up to claying/polishing, and after seeing some people's comments I think those areas are going to have to stay hand done!