Alfa156Melb

6Th Gear Hard To Select

The only way to select 6th is to slam it in from 5th, if it doesn't select the first time - it wont at all.. you have to back to 5th and try again.

I've bought some top hat bushes for the linkages above the gearbox, but reading through various threads, I am beginning to think that they will not sort me out as the lateral movement on the stick is perfectly fine.

All other gears, including reverse are perfect.

Any thoughts on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated! :Big Grin:

You need to remove the selector from the top of the box and check it is in good order, if the roll pin is in shear then it's a time bomb, just dont slam it any more.

I went to do as you suggested Smaky, but looking it and not knowing how it all fits inside the gearbox with the selector out, I thought I'd get a pro to look at it..

I replaced the top hats while i was there though, which has improved things, but not fixed the 6th gear problem..

So the car will go in next week to get that and a couple of other things sorted out.

I think you're going to need to remove and strip down the gearbox as this sounds like the 6th gear synchro spring has collapsed, but first of all check that selector module and that the linkage cable mounting bushes aren't damaged.

Edited by Smaky

eh. it just gets better and better!

OK I've checked elearn and removing at the selection mechanism doesnt look too bad - if I have to replace it, what part do I order? Can i order one from a 2.5lt 6 speed box? or does it have to be from a GTA box?

So i took her for a decent drive today and now its much easier selecting 6th, as long as you come straight from 5th... that is to say that i don't have to force it any more but it still has to be a swift, assertive action otherwise it still wont select.

Big improvement on what it was, but still not there.

The selestor sections are the same on all the v6 and 10V JTDs no matter if they are 5 or 6 speed so there are loads around, but I am really thinking that this is cable mountinng rubbers on top of the gearbox,

Part # - 46480234 x2

I tried to source that part locally and they told me that it was only suitable for the 147 GTA.. Can you confirm that this is the right number please Smaky?

I havent had a chance to revisit this yet but for some strange reason the problem has almost cured itself. Although not perfect, its pretty good now... :whistle:

I spose so, weird that the improvement has been progressive rather than instant though..

Anyway, im happy.. Ill still order those pads u suggested because its still not perfect.

How's the progress of the repairs so far?

My friend's GT has got the same issue of not getting into 6th at all.

There is another possible solution to this which costs NOTHING to do, on top of the gear selector you can see a spring and a nut, this is a fine tuning adjustment device which allows you to alter the position of the gearstick in relation to the selected gear, you simply loosen the nut, which allows the range motion to be adjusted, then it's trial and error to get the position correct, it can be done without removing a single piece from the engine bay too although just moving the air duct out may assist you to see what your up to.

How's the progress of the repairs so far?

My friend's GT has got the same issue of not getting into 6th at all.

I haven't even looked at it yet.. Since i fitted new top hats its been much better but not perfect..

Smaky has made another suggestion which ill follow through on and let you know how i go ..

There is another possible solution to this which costs NOTHING to do, on top of the gear selector you can see a spring and a nut, this is a fine tuning adjustment device which allows you to alter the position of the gearstick in relation to the selected gear, you simply loosen the nut, which allows the range motion to be adjusted, then it's trial and error to get the position correct, it can be done without removing a single piece from the engine bay too although just moving the air duct out may assist you to see what your up to.

Ok thanks mate ill give it a go..

While refurbishing the interior last weekend, i pulled the centre console out and had a look at the gear stick linkages and found the moutning bolts to be loose.. tightened them up and now 6th gear slides in like a prostitutes.... :Big Grin: