smiffy

4X4's

The search for a 75 is going to be a long one I think (unless I get 10k and get the super hot and sexy one from Ireland). So I'm after a family car I would be happy with a Saab 93 estate but err in doors has other ideas and wants a 4x4(Chelsea tractor). She doesn't want a range rover sport but fancys a range rover vogue or a discovery. She has also looked at Volvo xc90's until someone showed us a Porsche Cayenne.

4.5 V8 0-60 quicker than the GTA :o

Have any of you guys or gals had any experience with any of the above?

A mate of mines got a Range Rover Overfinch, its got all the tricks but it's a bit of a wet fish when you put your foot down.

I can't think how you can make such a massive motor with such little room in it though :Thinking:

Not saying I wouldn't have it though :LOL:

Older Range Rovers are very wallowy and bouncy especially in the back, so if your kids get travel sick, best avoided.

I love my Terrano, but they've not made them in a while. The Evoque looks like footballer's car to me, but we went on a 4x4 driving experience in the latest Landrover discovery and the guy who took us around said that actually it performs very well. It's a Marmite thing, I think.

She been looking at the newer range rovers she would love a overfinch but that ain't gonna happen, the Porsche is quick should sound :cool: and it's cheaper than the range

You do know that the Porsche Cayenne is generally agreed to be the car that people with more money than taste buy, don't you?!

You do know that the Porsche Cayenne is generally agreed to be the car that people with more money than taste buy, don't you?!

Nope but it's got a big engine

My mates got a 55 plate supercharged Range Rover sport in black I fucking love it.Id have one but its a money sponge you can see the fuel gauge dropping when you drive.

absolute waste of road room. Up here in Aberdeen 4x4s are 'kin everywhere and are only purchased for one purpose, status symbols and only used for one purpose, taking the kiddiwinks to school.

we find that due to the wide track they are able to straddle sleeping policemen so the theory of them being safer if lost as mummy and daddy drive far too fast down small residential streets, ok the kids in the 'car' are safe but the kids walking to school dont stand a chance against a 2 ton truck going way too fast with a bumper height conveniently the same as 5-8 year olds, ie the age where judging the speed on an oncoming tank has not been learned yet. :rant:

I could rant for ages, but I will save that for when someone comes along and extols the virtues of driving a 2 ton 4x4 in a town!! Bring%20It%20On.gif

A 4x4 that's not used off road is driven by a tosser.

A 4x4 that's not used off road is driven by a tosser.

Bit harsh what about Audi Quattro and the 159 Q4?

I will have no intention of using it off road but it will help out in the snow when I can't use my van for work. The GTA and GTV were fuckin hopeless in the snow and living at the top of a hill didn't help much either. Personal choice at the end of the day and I am classed as a tosser, chav or anything other then so be :LOL:

(Not offended in anyway by any comments by the way knew most where coming)

Id love a supercharged rangerover. It would never go off road but they noise they make :hubba:

I will have no intention of using it off road but it will help out in the snow when I can't use my van for work. The GTA and GTV were fuckin hopeless in the snow and living at the top of a hill didn't help much either. Personal choice at the end of the day and I am classed as a tosser, chav or anything other then so be :LOL:

They're exceptions.

Its the "I must drive a tank" brigade that annoy me and they always seem to want to drive them at 100mph :Confused:

Many years ago my boss had a range rover with a full Janspeed exhaust made loads of noise but went nowhere :LOL:

He used to rave about how great it was and how safe, until he rolled it in the snow :LOL:

But as you say for the few days of the year we get snow it will be better than 2wd, and for the 360 other days thirstier :), but its your money and your choice. :thumbs:

I think you have taken this comment out of context, you in your op were referring to a 'chelsea tractor' which is not what you would call either the quattro or the 159. A chelsea tractor is a slang term for

"Any expensive 4x4 that is driven in an urban environment as a status symbol (typically for the school run) and will never be driven off-road.

Look, that Chelsea Tractor nearly flattened that kid!"

http://www.urbandict...Chelsea Tractor

What about a Fiat Panda 4x4? fun to drive, good in the snow and economical. Unfortunately or in the last case fortunately, though it doesen't even make a reading on the 'egometer', 'status-symbol'o'meter' or 'kiddykiller'o'meter.

Edited by moon_blue

What about an X5? Theres a 3l 1 on autotrader with lpg conversion for £4600. (On my phone using the autotrader app so linky might not work)

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201310069145651?atmobcid=soc4

You could tint the windows & drive about looking like a pharmacist :)

They're exceptions.

Its the "I must drive a tank" brigade that annoy me and they always seem to want to drive them at 100mph :Confused:

Many years ago my boss had a range rover with a full Janspeed exhaust made loads of noise but went nowhere :LOL:

He used to rave about how great it was and how safe, until he rolled it in the snow :LOL:

But as you say for the few days of the year we get snow it will be better than 2wd, and for the 360 other days thirstier :), but its your money and your choice. :thumbs:

Getting rid of the two cars gets rid if 2 lots of tax approx £500 a year getting rid of 2 lots of insurance over a £1000 and 2lots of fuel loads :LOL: I will be better off or just the same with the Porsche.

Moon blue I ain't arguing with you and maybe I did take it a bit out of context and I was opposed to whole idea but I love cars and haven't had a 4x4 as yet and the Porsche has really caught my eye (mainly because of the big engine) we have 2children and a dog and holidays are normally impossible due to lack of space in the Alfas. :)

THAT, is possibly the worst red leather interior I've ever seen LJ ! :eek:

That back bench seat? :nonono:

Most of them have big bench seats :(

THAT, is possibly the worst red leather interior I've ever seen LJ ! :eek:

That back bench seat? :nonono:

I quite like it :$

They reckon that the porky is the best of both if you don't want a range rover . ;)

Just been to see one in one of these second hand car places. They wanted a lot of money for tho £10,999

It was a 54 4.5s loads of room inside turned the key and 3 warning signs came up one about the 4 wheel drive faulty one about the air suspension faulty and some bulbs gone. There was a whirring noise. The salesman was like yeah I can't hear a whirring noise and them warnings lights is because the battery was flat : rolleyes:

I told him I wanted £4500 for the GTA he came back from his computer and said I can give £2000 :wanker: so left it like that, so off to the Porsche dealer to ask some questions I went. Nice motors tho

You're paying more for the badge at a dealer/second hand place. And you'll never get what your GTA is worth there either. You need an enthusiast to buy it.