alison50

Please Help Stuck In Neutral

I was waiting at the lights in 1st gear just about to set off the car decides to put itself in neutral. It would not go into any gear at all and I ended up getting towed home. My husband put in a another selespeed pump as was told this was the problem, all went into gear fine. For some reason the battery was dead flat so recharged and I took it for a run. It was all good going up and down the gear box as it should until I came back went to go in reverse nothing happened, I parked up and now stuck in Neutral again, Desperate for help.

Hi alison50,

You will note on the thread "Drops To Neutral", that I have experienced exactly the same thing in my 147 in the last few days. Go and have a look on there for a few pointers.

I was driving along, pulled up to a set of lights, and the car got stuck in neutral. I couldn't shift it. The only way I "fixed" it was to turn the car off for 60 seconds, and turn it back on, which fixed it until I got to the next set of lights, and it dropped to neutral again. All other gears were fine.

I feel your pain!

Hi I tried all that and more and was stuck for 2 hours before getting towed, Had a new selespeed pump on yesterday and a new radiator was all okay went into all gears now ziltch again back to square one

Is the pump supposed to prime everytime door opens, I had a new selespeed pump fitted worked okay for a bit and now stuck in neutral again, would it be the pump again or the relay Thanks

HI it did yesterday after the pump was fitted and now it wont so hence no gears again back square 1

Really need get FES or Multiscan on the system to check the system pressure....

Are you getting the gearbox warning light when you try to select a gear ?

it could be somthing as simple as a loose connection between the gear lever and ECU....

He's having a mental breakdown over my red covers on the car :rolleyes::LOL:

taken from gorge1982's thread Smaky suggests this-

No, as you said after 2 minutes the car will dump to N to save system pressure, if it then wil not re-engage a gear I suspect either the brake pedal switch (unlikely) or the accumulator to have failed.

could be the same issue?

No problem it not going no where

Absolutely not the case.

He does answer, but just occasionally he'll be offline for a day or two :thumbs:

Do not spend vast amounts of money at a garage until he replies though.

Edited by Bigdar

Actuator done in 2007 at milage 27k, new actuator pump done at same time, cam belt done at same time, selespeed pump done 2007 , another s.s pump put in yesterday ok the no gears again. no priming when door opens, all fuses checked , whats next ha ha

Beer, kebab and a good film :thumbs:

Or a bonfire ;)

I like fires, beer and kebabs the film helps me sleep

I LOVE my alfa, big red shiny, hardly a mark in or out of it, huge alloys its a beast whens it goes just a prob it not going

got any photo's of it? could always post some in the members cars thread while you wait for smaky's advice ;)

:whistle:

:D