The aircon in my 147 Sele is blowing nowt but warm air, even when set on "Lo". Looking at the service record the aircon hasn't been touched since the car was new - some 11 years ago!

Although I come from a biking background (where the visor gap is your aircon :LOL: ) I know enough about car aircon to know that it is not something I want to attempt myself (they must call them Death Kits in the USA for a reason!) So, would I be OK taking the car to a local mechanic/Kwik-Fit where they do recharging/testing, or would I be better off calling an aircon man in a van type? Or is there anything "unique" about the Alfa/147 aircon system that means it really needs to go to an Alfa/Fiat garage?

Mine works :teehee:, it doesn't in my 156 though :(

I've heard that for it to be done properly they need to flush all the old stuff out and refill the whole system with new fresh.

The cheaper places will probably just top up your system and not flush it first.

Don't think there's much stuff left in mine to flush out :LOL: but that is a good tip K9d. :thumbs:

Local KwikShit is doing a complete regas/relube for £49, plus you can have a bioflush (extra spondoolies) at the same time. Am always a bit sceptical about these places, but it's nearly half the price the local (and trusted) spanner man is asking for. :Confused:

I use Kwikfit, if it's not like, 10% colder they half the price, or something

Takes about 15 minutes and they leave the aircon on full blast to prove it when you get back in the car, Brrrrr

A proper mechanic nine times out of ten doesn't do it, and sends your car to kwikfit, charging you a little extra for the priveledge, so you may as well take it yourself

Either are good and not much in the price the quotes I had from the aircon local mobile chap was a fiver less than QuickFit.

The biggest issue with air con is the safe disposal of the old gas not a very green product.

I did see something recently about a Eco friendly version but can't find the place I read it will look into this further.The other thing to remember is that most good places will do a pressure check on the system before refilling so you know if there is a problem. Also the work will be covered by the standard garantee .

An air con service done quickly is a bad thing and should be questioned. Kwik fit are hit and miss and i wouldn't want them anywhere near my AC system.

Edited by SLiM

Am in Royston area tomorrow, so it's booked in to Alfa Workshop for a survey and recharge. Nigh on same price as ShitFit too :thumbs:

• Like 1

:LOL: sorry, now I get you :facepalm:

£50 inc VAT. (To save you looking it up yourself or doing any complicated maths :poke: )

Whats that in ugandan dollars? Thats all biggy deals with these days :whistle:

Duh, everyone knows Uganda's currency is the Shilling. That deliberate mistake aside, off the top of my head I think 50 GBP is roughly 195,174.89 UGX

Who said "Google is your friend"? :whistle:

F me, it's freezing today. In my car :Smug: Although, I have a very slow leak so for how much longer I don't know.

The biggest issue with air con is the safe disposal of the old gas not a very green product.

R134a is about as geen a product as you'll ever see.

R134a is about as geen a product as you'll ever see.

I know you have an issue with me but the French are banning sales of new cars that have 134a in the system including rather a large diplomatic argument with Mercedes who are not allowed to supply certain cars that have already been ordered this is solely down to the environmental impact of 134a And the new regs .Now replaced in a lot of new cars across Europe.

By the way not understanding something you have read is only a reason for ridicule if your not big enough to to be given an alternative and accept it and apologise for the error. We are not all experienced techs if we were we would not be here asking for advice and seeking verification of fact and hearsay .

If this is such a green product why is it illegal to release this into the atmosphere ?

Green... as in colour.

Sorry should have clicked lol..

In desperate need emocons .

My apologies

I do have a sense of humor well most of the time. ;)

Am in Royston area tomorrow, so it's booked in to Alfa Workshop for a survey and recharge. Nigh on same price as ShitFit too :thumbs:

Love the guys at Alfa Workshop :)