Sign in to follow this  
alfapat

156 Idle

Not got to the problem yet , but just getting a heads up on possible causes.

156 x reg idles only after an exhaust change(rear silencer only).

I suspect either the Maf first but could this be a crank sensor as well as I believe the idle only came up as a fault on overtemperature ,if there is a link to heat would the crank be involved in this fault but coincidently a MAF .

In defence no access to the car yet with multiscan.

Ok been to see car and multiscan says potentiometer is at fault aye throttle , so checked plugs and fiat multi scan looks like throttle angle is frozen so potentiometer not working . Any way of cleaning this on throttle body ?

To add the temp sensor has a fault , cleaned this and fan relay not working , but absolutely no throttle just idle, normal at first , then hunts.

I "lost" the throttle on my 166, 2.5 V6, after a battery change.

A throttle reset sorted it.

Had a bit of a dodgy idle and excessive fuel consumption on the gta only when I took the intake flexi elbow off for a clean I noticed a split. Looks for any splits or cracks more than likely the culprit

Yeah but you would still get throttle , no?

As I say just idle absolutely no throttle.

Looks like deeper investigation

Oh right just read through again my bad. Could possibly be crank sensor idles but not revving to protect the engine. Smaky should be round soon.

Nothing comes up as crank sensor as I was hoping , Isuspected that myself.

I checked the plug at the pot entiometer ands its ok not checked for voltage at the plug though, so could be the pedal is faulty

Oh right just read through again my bad. Could possibly be crank sensor idles but not revving to protect the engine. Smaky should be round soon.

Could the crank sensor have the above and not show as a fault code then?

Yeah but you would still get throttle , no?

As I say just idle absolutely no throttle.

Looks like deeper investigation

Throttle pedal fault or the TB is unplugged.

Ok thanks Alex , I might get another chance to look at this , it's a 51 plate not an x reg as I origininaly said , plug seems fine as I remember only one plug , not got car to hand

On the ecu issue I have read on travels that some exhaust place fried an ecu while replacing/making a custom exhaust something to do with welding and the earth point?

Now that I have the car nearer at hand , I have not been able to connect Multiscan , something about port and connection issues.

I have put Omnitec on to the car , and although its none specific with car manufacturer it comes up with codes relating to my issues.

The codes

P0120

They must be related but its not pinpointing the problem too closely.

The car just idles , no tyhrottle response and hunts ever so slightly.

I HAVE SWAPPED THROTTLE BODIES AND ITS UNCHANGED

Any CLUES PLEASE , OH CHECKED PINS ON PLUGS ON TOP OF THROTTLE BODY , UNRELATED(sorry caps), is temp sensor not working , I think unrelated , and fan inoperable. That would be the resistor as I can wire across the plugs and that works.

Anyway of testing the pedal out, apart from power in , any values I can check

Ok moving on , Ihave been doing some voltage checks on the plug connecting the throttle potentiometer in the floor and the plug at the throttle body , they are all small voltages around 4 to 5 v mostly and some 1 to 2 v but not sure if these v are correct or not. I have a 147 here so may check them to compare . As you know I have swapped the throttle body with a working one at this point.

Edited by alfapat

Check for pins backing their way out of the plugs at both ends, then behind the steering fluid res is a 1" round plug, disconnect and reconnect that as all the signals pass through that too.

I have the pedal out and it tests out on resistance figures common with any values when you operate it.

Having read the mot history and the timings to when I picked up the car, it looks like the ecu has been spiked when a patch has been put on the sill.

So can anyone reminde where the ecu is , passenger side perhaps ?

Would I be right in thinking that the ecu management is the multi plugs on top of the throttle body, and not the usual box you find under the dash ?

OK it looks like the response I get is slow here , I have gone ahead and replaced my ecu , should arrive tomorrow.

Ok this sight is slow to respond to to anything , so I have ordered an ecu ,will see what happens next.

Edited by alfapat

The site is still young and not a lot of tech peeps on here and electrical probs are more technical for most members so we rely on the one guy we have. Frustrating I know :)