Sign in to follow this  
kam-325i

Leaky Selespeed

Evening all.......

Decided to change the oil in the gearbox as going into 2nd gear from either 1st or 3rd there was/is a crunch.....

removed the fill plug from the gear box.........and about 1 litre of oil came out......now i know where all the selespeed oil is going.....

it seems the leak is in the selector area of the selespeed system, as the leak is presenting it's self on the out side as circled in the picture below......

What do i need to fix it.

leak.jpg

Advice from smaky ;)

Be patient, the next time he's online I'm sure he'll have advice for you :thumbs:

Welcome by the way :D

Thanks for the welcome, been a looooong time lerker........kinda floated over from AO.....

Hhhhhmmmm, borderline other forum bashing Biggy :tut:

Don't make LJ get his ban hammer out :ban1:

:LOL:

(joking btw kam, things are very different round here :thumbs: )

Evening all.......

Decided to change the oil in the gearbox as going into 2nd gear from either 1st or 3rd there was/is a crunch.....

removed the fill plug from the gear box.........and about 1 litre of oil came out......now i know where all the selespeed oil is going.....

it seems the leak is in the selector area of the selespeed system, as the leak is presenting it's self on the out side as circled in the picture below......

What do i need to fix it.

leak.jpg

There's a possibilty of up to 6 seals leaking here, but it is definately occuring within the selection area, so first of all the actuator needs to be removed and the back plate taken off, if your lucky then it's just the 2 o-rings beteen the plate and body.

so first of all the actuator needs to be removed

Which actuator ?......

How do i remove the whole system from the gearbox, is it just the two long M6 bolts, or is there somthing hiding behind the larger grub screw....

There is only 1 actuator.

only 1 ?????

I thought there are 5 actuators on the selespeed system......!!!

I take it that you refer to the whole system that is bolted to the gearbox as the actuator...

seals.jpg

looking at the system, i assume it could be the seals cirlced that could be the problem

Yup, plus there are 2 more which are not shown.

But 9/10 it's either the seals between the backplate or the 2 on the range piston (in the back plate.

Edited by Smaky

one other question, are there different "Revisions" of the system as fitted to the 156, will a system from say a >2004 car fit a <2004 car ?

Any actuator from a 156 or 147 will fit.

....as long as it's from a twinny.

Edited by Smaky