orgigeorgie

Guide - How To 'detail' Your Alfa

BOT

I have a metallic black 156, I'm new the detailing bit.

So just to clarify wax after polish but you don't buff polish off with a machine?

BOT

I have a metallic black 156, I'm new the detailing bit.

So just to clarify wax after polish but you don't buff polish off with a machine?

Buffing is removing something with elbow grease.

Polishing occurs BEFORE waxing. And you will need to buff it off as it doesn't just disapear (unless you work it to a point where is such a fine powder - you dont want that).

Polishing just readies the paint for protective layer of wax. If you don't have a machine its ok, there are hand polishes with fillers that will cover up the swirls.

If your black 156 is anything like my sisters black 147 - its a nightmare to keep clean.

Also I should note for people with dark cars (although applies to everyone)- If you see dust on your car do not touch it! Rinse it off. Wiping dust off gives nasty swirl marks - just go look at your shiny tv cabinet or kitchen bench if you have one.

Interesting car NorthernBastard is that for protection from stone chips, or a personal visual addition.

G

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

:thumbs:

Thanks for that never waxed it before. The car is a nightmare to keep clean, have a big issue with dust here at the mo too :(

Black is a bitch to keep clean. :(

I KNEW I'd seen NB's car somewhere before! :facepalm:

Good spot, K9d and Gaz. :thumbs:

Buffing is removing something with elbow grease.

Polishing occurs BEFORE waxing. And you will need to buff it off as it doesn't just disapear (unless you work it to a point where is such a fine powder - you dont want that).

Polishing just readies the paint for protective layer of wax. If you don't have a machine its ok, there are hand polishes with fillers that will cover up the swirls.

If your black 156 is anything like my sisters black 147 - its a nightmare to keep clean.

Also I should note for people with dark cars (although applies to everyone)- If you see dust on your car do not touch it! Rinse it off. Wiping dust off gives nasty swirl marks - just go look at your shiny tv cabinet or kitchen bench if you have one.

Interesting car NorthernBastard is that for protection from stone chips, or a personal visual addition.

G

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Both ...The stone chips were hidden very discreetly by the dealer when I bought it !

1st time I washed it, it came out in a gravel rash from the rear of the front arches along both sills and up the rear arches..

Tried to claim for a respray from Alfa but they body swerved me so ended up with the vinyl !

#### what them set of twats think it looks like...It's artistic differences, I'm artistic and they're just different :wanker:

I'm impressed with the Megs carnuba wax btw :thumbs:

Buffs up real nice and when I went to shut the boot this morning my hand slipped right off it and no haze :cool:

Cheers for the advice !

I don't drive a beemer.

I understand what you mean about art and people not understanding, Damien Hirst pissed on a shark and called it art, I call it shite. :)

I don't drive a beemer.

I understand what you mean about art and people not understanding, Damien Hirst pissed on a shark and called it art, I call it shite. :)

Until you can see a face in a pile of dog shit, speak to the hand :Bring It On:

I always love a bit of intellectual banter. :rolleyes:

Until you can see a face in a pile of dog shit, speak to the hand :Bring It On:

Oi! Wrong thread :tut:, faces thread is in the photo gallery :D

My car has got loads of swirl marks & scratches in it where the previous owner 'washed' it. Not 1 panel is very good, i did make a go of it 1 weekend without a machine polisher thing & done it all by hand & it came out better than i thought. A mate is going to do it for me when we both get some spare time & try & do it over 2 days. I'll do all the prep work then hit it with the machine :cool:

1 thing i have noticed on this car is water marks :Confused: once i've washed it & dried it, it gets what looks like water scsle outlines where drips of water have dried. I don't use anything diferent on this car thsn i did any others :Confused:

Oi! Wrong thread :tut:, faces thread is in the photo gallery :D

My car has got loads of swirl marks & scratches in it where the previous owner 'washed' it. Not 1 panel is very good, i did make a go of it 1 weekend without a machine polisher thing & done it all by hand & it came out better than i thought. A mate is going to do it for me when we both get some spare time & try & do it over 2 days. I'll do all the prep work then hit it with the machine :cool:

1 thing i have noticed on this car is water marks :Confused: once i've washed it & dried it, it gets what looks like water scsle outlines where drips of water have dried. I don't use anything diferent on this car thsn i did any others :Confused:

Water spots are pain the ass. Do you live near a quarry? If no you're safe.

A water spot is the minerals suspended in the water hardening on the surface. This can happen:

If you live near a quarry and there is large limestone concentration in the air.

It has been dry and dusty for weeks. Doubt it in the UK.

You live in an industrial area with lots of pollutants.

You wash with hard water which has a high concentration of magnesium and calcium.

The most likely is the last. Hardwater is a nuisance and very common at carwash places. But can b overcome with some protection.

To get rid of waterspots there are a few methods. White vinigar is acidic but not enough to damage paint if washed off straight away. It neutralises the basic make up of the minerals.

Clay bar. Safer and will work with most variations of water spots.

Machine polish will remove a fine layer of clear including your waterspots.

Be sure to protect afterwards!!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

I avoid water spots by using water from my butt. :teehee:

Water where I live is so bloody hard that I bought a water butt and use rain water for washing my car, no water spots. :thumbs:

Water spots are pain the ass. Do you live near a quarry? If no you're safe.

A water spot is the minerals suspended in the water hardening on the surface. This can happen:

If you live near a quarry and there is large limestone concentration in the air.

It has been dry and dusty for weeks. Doubt it in the UK.

You live in an industrial area with lots of pollutants.

You wash with hard water which has a high concentration of magnesium and calcium.

The most likely is the last. Hardwater is a nuisance and very common at carwash places. But can b overcome with some protection.

To get rid of waterspots there are a few methods. White vinigar is acidic but not enough to damage paint if washed off straight away. It neutralises the basic make up of the minerals.

Clay bar. Safer and will work with most variations of water spots.

Machine polish will remove a fine layer of clear including your waterspots.

Be sure to protect afterwards!!

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Thats great, cheers :thumbs: im a bit stuffed either way, live near an industrial estate with a few factories on it (nothing major with great big towers etc, a few manufacturing type places) live in a stupidly hard water area & at the moment they are demolishing a massive great big building (and lots of smaller buildings) and putting a big supermarket, school, houses/flats etc so lots of dust on the cars even though im about half a mile away :(

I use water from a water butt too :) (its basicly a big bucket that connects into your guttering drainpipe & collects water from your house roof & stores it :). We have 2 connected together & i use the '2nd' 1 as all the crap & stuff off the roof gets caught in the 1st 1 because the connection is at the top where the 2 join together :)

Ahh I see, we have a similar thing in Australia during droughts called water tanks. 50,000L and so. To combat hard water don't use Carnuba. Its natural and soft so it'll 'wear'. I don't recommend this often simply because I want it all to myself but I use FK 1000.

Great product and seriously cheap. Very very good at what it does. But any synthetic sealant should do a good job and applications often will make your life easier and it'll also protect the paint from marring.

Good to see people asking questions.

:thumbs: i'll have a look for that fk 1000 stuff later. I'll see what other stuff i have in the garage because i can't remember what sealer i have got :)

Ahh I see, we have a similar thing in Australia during droughts called water tanks. 50,000L and so. To combat hard water don't use Carnuba. Its natural and soft so it'll 'wear'. I don't recommend this often simply because I want it all to myself but I use FK 1000.

Great product and seriously cheap. Very very good at what it does. But any synthetic sealant should do a good job and applications often will make your life easier and it'll also protect the paint from marring.

Good to see people asking questions.

You do things bigger down there then, my water butt is 300l :LOL:

But then again we don't have to wait long between refills :(

So, orgigeorgie... What you're saying is that you like big butts, and you cannot lie? :teehee:

You do things bigger down there then, my water butt is 300l :LOL:

But then again we don't have to wait long between refills :(

We have 4 water butts.... :D:P And they're all fairly empty currently...

I was thinking of filling mine from the hose pipe. :)