orgigeorgie

Guide - How To 'detail' Your Alfa

I was thinking of filling mine from the hose pipe. :)

But... Oh, forget it. :facepalm:

:LOL: We do fill our watering cans from the stream at the bottom of the garden, thing is it is SUCH a treck ALL the way down to the end of the garden, and ALL the way back :moast: o keep this vaguely on topic, I wouldn't wash the car with water from the stream Edited by Anjenha

Hey guys,

I've just set up a facebook page, for a sub 25 yr old I have no effin' idea how this works. hahaha if you could take 2 seconds out of your day to search for billy goat detailing and just offer a 'like' I'd b very grateful.

Thanks guys!

I would if I could, but I'm not on Facebook.

Can you 'like' it for me.

Whatever the fuck that means :LOL:

Hahah cheers mate, I was trying to figure out who you were. Looked at your profile and all your mate's had pics of alfas...I was like Whoes this boss. Now I know.

Bigdar thought appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Hahah cheers mate, I was trying to figure out who you were. Looked at your profile and all your mate's had pics of alfas...I was like Whoes this boss. Now I know.

Bigdar thought appreciated.

:LOL:

I have a few questions

I have acquired a Bosch polisher mop thing, looks like a 9'' angle grinder but doesn't spin as fast. Like this one but it hasn't got that attachment on.

y7yruse8.jpg

I used it to mop a van I had once it brought the colour up but left loads of swirl marks. (Burnt the laquer I think) anyway I won't go near the G3 compound that I used, what I am asking is can I use it for normal autogylm polish/colour magic or is it the wrong tool all together?

The other question is I got polish and wax on the newly powder coated wing mirror mounts

u6y2aqem.jpg

How do I get it off or are they knackered

It takes a long time to learn how to use a rotary tool effectively on paint. It can build heat up very quickly in the pad and that'll transfer to the paint. you will most likely burn through the clear coat and cause damage.

Alfas have quite a thin layer of clear coat (~80um when healthy) and its soft paint. Its called an angle grinder for a reason no matter the speed it rotates at.

If you'd like to get into machine polishing invest in a DA rotary tool, this rotates but also oscillates. Almost impossible to fuck it up because as you put pressure the machine slows its rotation.

Polishes are a very tricky thing to get right. In my experience don't get bogged down in which polish or cutting compound to use they are all designed to do the same - its how you approach them. When trying to remove swirls on alfa paint you need a medium polish on a fine grade finishing pad for a 1 step but with a DA tool, I wouldn't even try your machine.

Did that help? I can provide more info if you'd like.

In terms of the polish residue on the plastic, yeh not good. You can try with isopryl alcohol however you risk damaging the plastic. I use it and then buff it off immediately. Its great because it evaporates almost instantly. Good news is it does eventually come off, you can cover it up with stuff like black wow or any other plastic trim restorer. For future tape it off with painters tape. Masking tape will leave a residue.

G

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

That's brill cheers I will leave that well alone and look into a DA :thumbs:

The wing mirror mounts aren't plastic they are powder coated aluminium

Really on what car?

02 156 GTA

They went all funky, aluminium started to corrode and paint started to flake off, so I got them powder coated black wrinkle/textured. Got polish or wax on them now and they look crap

I use Gtech P1 http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/polishing/p1-nanocomposite-polish/ polish with a rotary polisher, the same type you used.

The polish is water based and very forgiving, I've used it with a wool pad, the harshest cut, without causing any damage on my 166,156 and 147.

Now I tend to use it with a softer, foam pad and take more time, I find it best to keep the speed low and if it starts to dry out a little squirt of water from a garden sprayer will work wonders.

Because its water based splashes will clean off easily.

Most polishes break down the particle size as you use them becoming progressively finer, P1 stays the same from start to finish.

LJ and Twisted can vouch for the level of shine on my 156.

I use Gtech P1 http://gtechniq.com/shop/3s-for-cars/polishing/p1-nanocomposite-polish/ polish with a rotary polisher, the same type you used.

The polish is water based and very forgiving, I've used it with a wool pad, the harshest cut, without causing any damage on my 166,156 and 147.

Now I tend to use it with a softer, foam pad and take more time, I find it best to keep the speed low and if it starts to dry out a little squirt of water from a garden sprayer will work wonders.

Because its water based splashes will clean off easily.

Most polishes break down the particle size as you use them becoming progressively finer, P1 stays the same from start to finish.

LJ and Twisted can vouch for the level of shine on my 156.

Any ideas of getting the polish of my wing mirrors then.

Also I've seen a DA that fits on a cordless drill are these any good or just tosh?

I will try the IPA route if you have any, other than that something like AG paint cleanser may do it http://www.autoglym.com/products/products/high-definition-cleanser, I would get in there with a toothbrush or something similar.

Tosh, I would imagine.

I though of getting a DA but knew I would eventually get a an orbital so skipped that step and went straight for the orbital.

I will try the IPA route if you have any, other than that something like AG paint cleanser may do it http://www.autoglym.com/products/products/high-definition-cleanser, I would get in there with a toothbrush or something similar.

Tosh, I would imagine.

I though of getting a DA but knew I would eventually get a an orbital so skipped that step and went straight for the orbital.

I'd rather drink IPA than use it to clean the wing mirrors :LOL:

Will give it a go :thumbs:

Not sure about drinking IPA, I used to use it all the time when I was printing and its evil stuff.

Ahh, I will try and get them from there to here.

Not sure about drinking IPA, I used to use it all the time when I was printing and its evil stuff.

Ahh, I will try and get them from there to here.

IPA ;)

ezuqa5e6.jpg

Not sure that would work on your car :LOL:, more drinkable than this stuff though http://mistralie.co.uk/products/ipa-isopropyl-alcohol-technical?gclid=CMjd7JWY5LgCFXLItAoda1EAgw.

Can't believe the price of it, I used to pay about £1.00 a litre, but then I was ordering 1,000 litres a month :)

If you want to buy IPA find a local printing firm, proper printers non of the photocopying digital rubbish, and see if they will sell you some.

I can call on some old work colleagues and get some for free. :)

It takes a long time to learn how to use a rotary tool effectively on paint. It can build heat up very quickly in the pad and that'll transfer to the paint HD

Farecla g10.spray water as you go with your "rotary tool"thus preventing "building heat up very quickly"

Any more questions?

Yup that's cool, if you guys are confident with your tools then no worries. I have no experience with farecla so I can't comment.

My experience with a rotary was so so, the correction it gave me was good and quick but the amount dust and risk it introduced wasn't worth it for me. On my personal car sure no worries, on clients cars its a diff story.

Overall of you're already doing something, it works and you're happy stick with it. I find with the da you have slightly more freedom to use coarser pads than with a rotary but that could b simply because I'm not confident with a rotary tool.

A hood tip, instead of spraying water a little bit of quick detailer goes a long way.

G

Sent from my HTC One S using Tapatalk 4