Morgan

Morgan's In An Alfa (Again!)

I've sent the Bimmer off to Autolusso for a bit of a healthcheck, and Ned's given me this:

IMG-20130625-00089_zpsb93a8129.jpg

She's a 2003 147 1.6 Twinnie Lusso 3-door, with a few bodywork issues. :teehee: Still, the car drives alright, and the 5-speed manual shifts nicely. Predictably, the airbag light's on, and the suspension could do with some new bushes, but that's to be expected with a 10 year old courtesy car. ;)

What I'm finding most striking is how utterly different the Alfa is to the Bimmer. :o The only thing they have in common is the fact they're both cars. :LOL: Otherwise, they are at opposite ends of the motoring spectrum.

That's not to say I'm not enjoying the Alfa, far from it. There's a much more "mechanical" feel to the act of driving in the 147, rather than the smoothed-off and refined experience of piloting the BMW. That "mechanical" feel is really rather endearing. :thumbs:

I expect LJ had a similar experience (albeit in reverse) when he had a Volvo V70 courtesy car whilst his 147 GTA was in for work.

There's a bumper attached to all those cracks on the front!

That's a very good analogy of Alfa, they do make you feel like your driving rather than just pushing pedals and moving bits around.

I know, you should see the other side, Gaz. :LOL: The angle I took that picture from shows the car in its best light, would you believe!

Coming from Autolusso, i can believe it :LOL:

Autolusso's courtesy cars are affectionately known as "Ned's Sheds" by his customers. :LOL:

When I moan about his cars (all in jest, of course), he asks me how much I pay to borrow them. That usually shuts me up. :P

When I hand my car in for a checkover I always get an Audi that smells of dog and fishing gear :grr::LOL:

Oh, and the 147 I've got is a Turismo, not a Lusso, as I stated in my OP.

Not that it matters much, but I like to be correct about these things. :Nerd:

Oh, and the 147 I've got is a Turismo, not a Lusso, as I stated in my OP.

Not that it matters much, but I like to be correct about these things. :Nerd:

:rolleyes::LOL:

:LOL: my 1st 147 was a turismo and it had a cassette player in the front and a cd changer in the boot. think that must have been the only option ticked on it when it was brand new but i loved it :) if it had nothing on it, there was nothing to go wrong :D it was quick enough for what i needed at the time and you could drive it like you stole it (which was fun because it didn't feel like a heavy car really) without being stupidly over the speed limit :) kind of why i like my MiTo so much (except its a lot quicker so you have to be carefull :()

Bimmer vs. Beemer

Enthusiasts vs. others

Definitions:

Bimmer - proper accepted slang for BMW cars. Most people don't know this.

Beamer/Beemer - proper accepted slang for BMW motorcycles. You will hear this term used incorrectly by many people.

Bummer - When you get a speeding ticket.

Bitter - Another German car. Very rare; hand built.

So just why is a BMW car called a 'bimmer' not a 'beemer' or 'beamer'?

The answer in part lies in knowing some BMW history and what came first.

All real BMW enthusiasts know that BMW got a big start on two wheels, what many call the real BMWs.

In those days, BMW motorcycles were quite active in racing, and one of their competitors at the track was often the BSA bikes.

Well as things would have it, a track slang developed, and the BMWs were usually referred to as 'beemers' and the BSAs were referred to as 'beesers'.

So, of course for any true enthusiast, there is no way that a BMW car could be called a 'beemer', so they were called 'bimmers'.

Edited by Anjenha

I don't think anyone actually cares that much tbh.

^^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^^^

Beemer bimmer bummer all the same

Bimmer actually autocorrects to bummer :LOL:

I prefer to call them those c***ing things driven by those with a heightened sense of self importance

^^ this. More than anything else.

I've never been a fan and people seem to get in them and become a stereotype. Instantly

I don't think anyone actually cares that much tbh.
then why did you correct him in the first place? :P

I didn't. I just agreed with someone.

Welcome back, munkster. :thumbs:

To clear a few things up:

1) It's Bimmer (Anjenha's totally right).

2) Correct. I do have a heightened sense of self-importance (though, to be fair, I had that before I had a BMW).

3) I am a walking stereotype (ditto the above... I don't think the BMW made it any worse :LOL: ).

Sometimes a car just fits the person. :biglol:

Ditto, I was a bastard long before I started driving bmws.