Sign in to follow this  
shane25

The Rover thread

I can't post pics of all the ones I've had, or you'll probably run out of server space. :LOL:

Still miss my Mk1 820 Tickford Turbo though, and they're so rare (I think at last check there were 7 taxed examples left - thankfully including this one which now resides in Wales) that I doubt I'll ever find another decent one.

TickfordFRS.jpg

Handled like a big blob of jelly, but went like the proverbial poo off a garden implement after a few tweaks. The M16 turbo engine was good for well over 300bhp with nothing but simple bolt on mods. :D

There's one in Chippenham.

Here are my old gals i had, and i miss both of the first 2 :$

the rest i either scrapped, sold on or were the missus :whistle:

Rover 75 2.0 V6

15112008092.jpg

820si

Picture022.jpg

All 214's

18102008055.jpg

ebay091.jpg

Still got a load of parts for this 1 in my shed :teehee:

14102006117.jpg

Also had:

416 Bubble

:whistle:

17102008047.jpg

Or in words you'll be more familiar with... suck my balls you hairy cowboy hat wearing bender.

:LOL:

I have a Friend who had a white one of those until quite recently.

A white Tickford saloon? What happened to it?

All of the 800's I have hd were pretty unreliable to be honest, electrics, bits falling off, broken diff bearings, crunchy gearchanges etc..

Hairline cracks in the solder on the fusebox thanks to years of temperature fluctuation, and the broken diff bearings just means someone gave it a rough life - twattish power launches and efforts at wheelspinning. Crunchy gear changes into reverse is because if the gearbox oil hasn't been changed often enough, the synchros develop a tendency not to disengage, simple way to prevent that is to put it into third and fourth, then into reverse.

I once considered buying an old 800 and a bloke at my work had an immaculate BRG one. "Is it any good?" I asked him once. "No" he replied "It's shit. The only reason I've still got it is because I can't sell the bastard!"

Or in words you'll be more familiar with... suck my balls you hairy cowboy hat wearing bender.

I have a Friend who had a white one of those until quite recently.

A white Tickford saloon? What happened to it?

All of the 800's I have hd were pretty unreliable to be honest, electrics, bits falling off, broken diff bearings, crunchy gearchanges etc..

Hairline cracks in the solder on the fusebox thanks to years of temperature fluctuation, and the broken diff bearings just means someone gave it a rough life - twattish power launches and efforts at wheelspinning. Crunchy gear changes into reverse is because if the gearbox oil hasn't been changed often enough, the synchros develop a tendency not to disengage, simple way to prevent that is to put it into third and fourth, then into reverse.

The diff bearings had plastic cages, or at least the one I rebuilt did. That smacks of severe cost cutting, especially in a fairly powerful car.

Not sure what happened to the Tickford saloon, I shall ask him. I am pretty sure it wouldn't have been scrapped though.

I hope not, as a white saloon will have been one of the very early, development cars, and probably the only one left, since I know that Scott's was scrapped by the next owner after it lunched a piston.

All the PG1s had plastic caged bearings, and yes it was a laughable cost cutting exercise, as was most of the changes Rover made post '96; but it's the reason they used a Boost Modulation Valve to limit boost (and therefore torque) levels in 1st and 2nd gear, rather than a simple ball and spring affair that many replace it with, then give it death with full boost in first - which is what explodes diff bearings.

I did have a lovely set of steel caged 6208s for my Vitesse's PG1, but after the Vit died and I had the shunt that rendered the idea of insuring a GP17 car null, I got stuffed by the guy who I sold them to, who claimed that they never turned up and demanded a refund. Wish I'd never bothered listing them now, as I'd be roughly £350 better off, and I'd have a set of excellent bearings for the 420.

I hope not, as a white saloon will have been one of the very early, development cars, and probably the only one left, since I know that Scott's was scrapped by the next owner after it lunched a piston.

All the PG1s had plastic caged bearings, and yes it was a laughable cost cutting exercise, as was most of the changes Rover made post '96; but it's the reason they used a Boost Modulation Valve to limit boost (and therefore torque) levels in 1st and 2nd gear, rather than a simple ball and spring affair that many replace it with, then give it death with full boost in first - which is what explodes diff bearings.

I did have a lovely set of steel caged 6208s for my Vitesse's PG1, but after the Vit died and I had the shunt that rendered the idea of insuring a GP17 car null, I got stuffed by the guy who I sold them to, who claimed that they never turned up and demanded a refund. Wish I'd never bothered listing them now, as I'd be roughly £350 better off, and I'd have a set of excellent bearings for the 420.

It was Scotts one I was talking about. So it has been scrapped. :facepalm:

Ah.

Yeah, I wondered if that might be the case - I've never seen another white saloon. That was the Tickford I came quite close to buying.

Here's mine, lol

DSCF0320.jpg

DSCF0325.jpg

DSCF0352.jpg

She was a 1996 MGF with the 1.8i K Series engine, kicked out 120BHP, did 120MPH with the top down, and kicked her arse out at every available opportunity. One of the most fun cars I have had, and sadly THE most unreliable. Steam would shoot out the overflow tank once a week whilst the temp gauge read max and the heater blew cold!

Crock of shit. But VERY fun!!! Came with chrome roll bars and I fitted newer seats and doorcards to it. Looked brilliant IMO.

It was Scotts one I was talking about. So it has been scrapped. :facepalm:

That would be this one sat to the right of mine then!

TwoTickfords.jpg

Not exactly common to see two in the same place at the same time. I wasn't nicking bits off the white one, I just went over to have a chat with the then owner let him have a look under my bonnet to work out what connects to where on an M16 turbo :D

Was a bit miffed (to put it mildly!) when I heard the owner was scrapping Scott's old car, as it was a really nice car with lots of history in the circles of t'Rover forums, and was the car which made me want one in the first place. Wouldn't have taken much effort at all to sort it out, replacement bits were even offered as close to free of charge as possible if I recall correctly.

Was a sad day when I saw the dismembered white carcass sat in his garden.

That is certainly the car. He did take me out in it on one occasiion, and at the time the exhaust was blowing.

It is a shame to see it broken, it was certainly part of Rover heritage.

The last time I saw Scott he was driving some crappy Shitroen Paxo

So symon knows scott, and vard/foxy know scott, and now symon knows vard and foxy...

Six degrees of separation! :o Spooky... who said the net was a big place.

Do any of you Rover boys know my mate Alex Sebbinger? He LOVES his old British motors, that fella does! :LOL:

PS: Both the 800s I had (800 Vitesse 2.0 Turbo and 827 2.7 V6) were impeccably reliable. :o

:Love::cool:

The best colour for them and those wheels and splitter just suit it so well. :thumbs:

Do any of you Rover boys know my mate Alex Sebbinger? He LOVES his old British motors, that fella does! :LOL:

Aye, I'm talking to the mentallist right now, as a matter of fact.

Also, Hallo Volf. Didn't realise you'd registered here.

Right, "Mentalist" says Vard/Dongalot... Well, judge for yourselves.

Here is the current fleet:

216 "SLEGTi" (An SLi with a GTi engine, and an SEi interior):

DSCF0353.jpg

827 Sterling (formerly owned by Her Majesty the Queen - I kid you not):

DSCF0140.jpg

820 Vitesse Turbo (180 bhp model):

DSCF0345-1.jpg

827Si Auto with just 29k on the clock:

DSCF0214.jpg

Jag "XJ40" XJ6 (3.2):

09092009704.jpg

Jag "X300" Sovereign (4.0):

04042009482.jpg

Jag "X308" Sovereign LWB (4.0):

DSCF0125.jpg

I also own this, but it's scrap now (epic MOT failure); a Rover 827 Limo that I drove to Rome, and back, covered in fur. Yes.

04042010862.jpg

And Vard calls me a "Mentalist"?! :P

jesus christ alex, you have some serious issues! :| (and some bloody cool cars)