Sign in to follow this  
LJ_GQV

Mito Driveshaft Problem

Been hearing a sort of clicking noise at slow speeds just as the car is coming to a stop & i could feel it in the brake pedal too. Dropped it off at ProAlfa a couple of days ago to get it looked at & there is play in 1 the driveshaft so need to get that sorted. Its a bit annoying as its only just ticked over 20k miles.

A previous owner has run the brake pads right down & knackered the discs aswell so they'll need changing on the front too. I was hoping to change the exhaust soon but my car seems to have other ideas :grr:

I've been thoroughly caning it everywhere, even down the drive, arriving and leaving in clouds of tyre-squealing smoke. Now, magically, my driveshaft and brakes are knackered - surely the two are not connected? :grr:

There, fixed that for you :thumbs:

:LOL:

No seriously, driveshafts shouldn't need replacing at 20k (unless it is massively over-chipped and you have been driving like an idiot) - you don't have to be Mr Smaky to realise that. Hope you find the root-cause and it doesn't cost an arm/leg to get it sorted.

How the hell can someone get through brake pads in 20K miles ?, checked my front ones whilst changing a CV boot and they've got loads left on them, they're the ones that were on the car when I bought it over 2 years and 30k miles ago.

Then again there are plenty of idiots out there who tailgate or don't use their gears downhill so are braking all time. :nonono:

How the hell can someone get through brake pads in 20K miles ?, checked my front ones whilst changing a CV boot and they've got loads left on them, they're the ones that were on the car when I bought it over 2 years and 30k miles ago.

Then again there are plenty of idiots out there who tailgate or don't use their gears downhill so are braking all time. :nonono:

I got through pads in 9k, discs in 16k and tyres in 4k one year

As for overusing the brakes where a gearbox will do, new brakes are cheaper than a new gearbox :thumbs:

There, fixed that for you :thumbs:

No seriously, driveshafts shouldn't need replacing at 20k (unless it is massively over-chipped and you have been driving like an idiot) - you don't have to be Mr Smaky to realise that. Hope you find the root-cause and it doesn't cost an arm/leg to get it sorted.

Chris said it can be fairly common on the 1.3 diesel MiTo's, i was thinking about stuff on the way back from the Ace Cafe last night and the only thing i can think of that may be a 'cause' was just after i had it lowered i hit a fairly big pothole, think the car may even have grounded out on it :( (felt like the car was going to fall in it tbh, wasn't going fast luckily though)

It has already had a sticky caliper sorted out under warranty so that may have been like it for a while before i bought it but im not overly bothered about that, gives me an excuse to upgrade them if i want now with a good enough reason :)

I got through pads in 9k, discs in 16k and tyres in 4k one year

As for overusing the brakes where a gearbox will do, new brakes are cheaper than a new gearbox :thumbs:

Cadance braking (using the gears) is a recognised technique to keep stock bakes cooler preventing excessive wear and brake fade, a good driving instructor would be teaching you this from the start.

• Like 1

But back to the driveshafts...

Being of the completely CRAP french designed Spider and cup style of joint, I've seen a few MiTos now which have needed driveshafts repairing fairly early on, I don't think these joints are actually up to the job in these cars as I would think (from vast experience) that the maximum power handling capability of these joints is less than the car is putting out, hiting potholes and such shouldn't affect them as they'd slide to an area of the cup with less wear, I think given the choice I'd swap out the joints for Bearing style ones.

Cadance braking (using the gears) is a recognised technique to keep stock bakes cooler preventing excessive wear and brake fade, a good driving instructor would be teaching you this from the start.

No i know that. I failed to mention the 3 track days i did

But back to the driveshafts...

Being of the completely CRAP french designed Spider and cup style of joint, I've seen a few MiTos now which have needed driveshafts repairing fairly early on, I don't think these joints are actually up to the job in these cars as I would think (from vast experience) that the maximum power handling capability of these joints is less than the car is putting out, hiting potholes and such shouldn't affect them as they'd slide to an area of the cup with less wear, I think given the choice I'd swap out the joints for Bearing style ones.

I think this is what was suggested to do with it :thumbs: chris described it to me about the joints & is 1 like a triangular shape & the other side is like a cup? (It was something like that anyway) I can't temember exactly what he said now but what you've said makes sense to what he said :LOL:

It sounds like the passenger side which has gone so must just be a coincedence with hitting the pot hole the other week

Brakes for getting down to speed, gears for holding it there. :)

Right pedal for going faster, left pedal for going slower. :thumbs:

Unless you've opted for changing gear yourself, in which case the left pedal will do bugger all to slow you down. :LOL:

Bloody lady licence holders :rolleyes:

:teehee:

I think this is what was suggested to do with it :thumbs: chris described it to me about the joints & is 1 like a triangular shape & the other side is like a cup? (It was something like that anyway) I can't temember exactly what he said now but what you've said makes sense to what he said :LOL:

It sounds like the passenger side which has gone so must just be a coincedence with hitting the pot hole the other week

I'd start by checking the circlip which holds the spider in place on the shaft is still secure.

Warranty company has agreed to pay for a new genuine part so getting it sorted next week with the brake pads/discs too :)

Yep :) warranty company tried to take the piss a bit though. Wanted them to have my car sat on the ramp for 5 days, have the part sent to them & they would get it recondition & sent back & fitted :nonono:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

They're quick to take your money, but hate paying it back out, same as all financial organisations. :(

its £56 a month to renew it when it runs out in september. i wont be renewing it :LOL: id rather save the 56 quid and if i need anything done ive got the money to fix it anyway :)

I was always told "brake pads are cheaper than gearboxes sunshine" ;)

Gearboxes are stronger than brakes.

Just picked it up and saw the old driveshaft.....the boot had come off and the grease had all come out so it was pretty clear that was a problem :LOL: