Sign in to follow this  
Alfa_owner

Search

I spent ages and ages looking around for a search button.. yes i'm an idiot. :teehee:

Perhaps this would be better suited in white or red?

It would make it stand out more for the blind among us *hangs head* but also add a bit of contrast to the top bar? :yay:

Not just that but the function itself isn't great... took me a very long time to find what I was searching for the other night, and no it wasn't the search button, :LOL:

I thought i'd do a test for a keyword which i knew should appear in the search menu.

Fiat Coupe.

I know this as it should be in my project log - both in the title and in the main context as well.

http://www.alfadriver.com/forum/index.php/topic/4196-alfa-147-fiat-coupe-20v-turbo-conversion-310bhp/

8957617394_1b8ccafe08_b.jpg

Methinks the search algorithm needs to be re-written to be more like Google, and less like Bing. :LOL:

Alfabhoy, where are you? ;)

Its not something the mod's can sort out but i will PM the man who can :thumbs:

Right, where's my ban hammer :rant:

:LOL:

No worries, it didn't sound snotty :LOL: i just thought id reply so you knew it wasn't getting ignored :thumbs:

I thought i'd do a test for a keyword which i knew should appear in the search menu.

Fiat Coupe.

I just tried a search for Fiat Coupe and the search function brought back all instances of the terms "Fiat" and "Coupe", to search for the exact term "Fiat Coupe" one would need to enter either of the following search terms (this is how Google search works by the way - it's called boolean search):

"Fiat Coupe" (note the quote marks)

or

Fiat +Coupe (note the plus [+] sign)

Hope this helps,

Waseem

ps.. iIf members are desperate for a google based site search facility we can of course add it, I'd rather not though as our site software will be more secure if we add fewer third party extensions to the core forum software.

pps. It is possible to make the search bar ALWAYS visible but I have it set to hide when not needed so as not to clutter the page. Again if members would prefer that it was always visible let me know.

i always use the search bar to find the tune of the day thread, never normaly finds it straight away and i end up looking through a list of threads before i find it :grr:

just tried it now putting the " " either side of it and BINGO!.... Waz, you're a genius, it works perfectly. 1 thread, straight to what i need and no looking for it now :LOL::thumbs:

Hi Alfabhoy,

But i've never needed to do that in any other site and i use a few! :)

Could we just make the magnifying glass white and then it'll make it easier for users to see the search function?

Hi Alfabhoy,

But i've never needed to do that in any other site and i use a few! :)

Could we just make the magnifying glass white and then it'll make it easier for users to see the search function?

My guess is that the other sites you are referring to have their search function set up to search for ALL words, ours is set up to search for ANY words.

That's not too bad an idea re the magnifying glass icon, I'll have a look at that and make it the same colour as the menu bar text :thumbs:

As per your request sir ;)