Sign in to follow this  
Morgan

Morgan's Got A New Toy

I agree M. My old man has a 2007 7 Series, and I think it's pig ugly from the outside and a bit ostentatious (he agrees on the latter), but is great on the inside. Perhaps I should point him towards one of these, so he can be a bit more subtle about it?

Styling-wise, BMW really dropped the ball with the E65, in my opinion.

How the hell did they go from this:

bmw-740i-e38.jpg

To this?:

3451694_1.jpg

A mate of mine had an E65 7-Series, and said it was lovely to drive, with a great interior. He ended up getting rid of it because he couldn't stand looking at it from the outside any longer!

The top one (i'm not very up on my BMW E numbers) is a handsome thing.

If i had the need for a big saloon, an older 740i/750i would be pretty high on my list. As would the previous generation S class and, bizarrely, the Volvo S60R

I'd love an audi S8 (the 1 like they use in The Transporter films) in black they look great & they make a pretty decent noise too :cool:

The top one (i'm not very up on my BMW E numbers) is a handsome thing.

If i had the need for a big saloon, an older 740i/750i would be pretty high on my list. As would the previous generation S class and, bizarrely, the Volvo S60R

The top one is an E38 740i. I used to have one of those. :D It was bloody lovely, but drank like George Best. :o

Previous-gen S-Class (an S320 CDi) was on my hit-list when I was looking at a more economical car to replace my old Alfa 166 V6. In the end, the fact that it was still a large-capacity V6 (DERV or not) tipped the balance in the favour of the Golf.

Now I'm working a few miles up the road (rather than the 100 mile round trip I had previously), and the Golf has thrown all its toys out of the pram, I'm back in a big old barge. And very happy I am, too. :cool:

PS: Good shout on the S60R. Always had a bit of a soft spot for those, but I'm not entirely sure I could bring myself to buy a motor from the same marque as my Dad's favoured firm (he's got a V70 2.4). :LOL:

S Line Audis are EPIC

I borrowed an S line A4 for a weekend once, it was shit, very VAG competent but totally uninvolving. :(

Perhaps there's two types.

S-Line is an Audi trim level (seats, steering wheel, bodykit, alloys, badges).

S and RS badged cars are proper sports cars.

So...

An A4 S-Line is a photocopier sales rep's car with fancy alloys and bucket seats. :rolleyes:

An S4 is a competent sports saloon. ;)

An RS4 is a mental, snarling beast of a car. :LOL:

:rolleyes:

Pedant

S line Audi trim GENERALLY only arrives on the S models.

Although hubby has an S line Steering wheel, it's not standard, and no other S trim

*grumble*

S-Line trim is available on ALL Audis, no matter how poverty-spec the rest of the car is.

I have nothing against Audi doing this, BMW (M-Sport) and Mercedes-Benz (AMG) do it, too. :thumbs:

In fact, if I did have anything against Audi doing it, I would be a hypocrite, as my BMW has M-Sport alloys and steering wheel. The rest of the car is pure old-man 5-Series Touring. :LOL:

And my Gtv has the Cup kit but it's not a Cup :thumbs:

I won't have a bad word said about Volvo, they are cracking cars. I miss driving them. The C30 is a favourite of mine and the new S/V60 is sublime to drive and oddly, for a Volvo, is a very good looking car! I once had to pick up a 2005 S60R, not knowing an awful lot about the car. I set off back to the dealership, sunk into the super comfy seats, headed off to the motorway, familiarised myself with the drive. All is going well, it's a lovely car to drive. Head on to the motorway, put my foot down in 3rd and within 3 seconds i was way over the limit. My god those things can shift!

It's a pity they are so expensive to maintain :(

I've never met a volvo I didn't get on with :thumbs: My mate has one, I don't know the model, but I do know it's chipped, and it's flipping mental, even for a car of 20 years old

850R?

I'd have one of those too, if they weren't so damn hideous inside :LOL:

Its as square on the inside as it is on the outside, and the 'wood' on the dash is very garish

Read Gash :rolleyes:

Not into cheaper standard cars with 'wood' it's never nice

S-Line is an Audi trim level (seats, steering wheel, bodykit, alloys, badges).

S and RS badged cars are proper sports cars.

So...

An A4 S-Line is a photocopier sales rep's car with fancy alloys and bucket seats. :rolleyes:

An S4 is a competent sports saloon. ;)

An RS4 is a mental, snarling beast of a car. :LOL:

That makes sense then, it was a reps car that I borrowed. :LOL:

• Like 1

Back on topic (Morgan's new toy), I noticed one of my tyres was losing air last night. Cue rolleyes smiley. :rolleyes:

Thankful that I'd spotted it that evening, rather than when I got in the car to go to work the next morning, I set about changing the wheel.

To my delight, I found a full-size spare alloy under the boot floor. Proper old-school :cool:

Take note, makers of modern cars (that includes you, BMW) - spacesavers and cans of tyre weld are rubbish! :tut:

Good find :)

I have a spacesaver and to be fair it does alright. I'd have NO BOOT without it. I also have four cans of tyre weld, but I think they've gone off :LOL:

Good find :)

I have a spacesaver and to be fair it does alright. I'd have NO BOOT without it. I also have four cans of tyre weld, but I think they've gone off :LOL:

For the GTV/Spider, I think Alfa can be forgiven. :LOL: For all the other car manufacturers, knocking out saloons, hatchbacks and estate cars, there's no excuse, other than cost-cutting. :tut:

In some cases, the cavity under the boot floor has room for a full-size spare, which the dealer will flog you as an optional extra. Cheeky bastards. :grump:

EVERYTHING is an optional extra.

I saw a Ford Fiesta ad the other day which was proud to say it's alloy wheels were 'Standard'

Why would you need to advertise that? It's not the '70s

The 166 has a full sized alloy. :)

The 166 has a full sized alloy. :)

Same as with my Bimmer, a car made *cough* a few years ago *cough*. :LOL:

Gotta love old school motors. :cool: