Sign in to follow this  
flyblo5

Electrical Gremlins

No i'm afraid not. It's internal and big.

Best i can hope for is head off and bits replaced.Broken%20Heart.gif

I'm pretty certain that if the belt had jumped a tooth it wouldn't run, when my 2.0 twinnys cam belt went it did the tinniest bit of damage but it wouldn't run.

I hope I'm wrong but the sound you describe sounds a lot like mine when the bottom end went. :(

Finally all problems and glitches sorted so decided to do a throttle reset before going off to the MOT station.

So i'm sitting there listening to the engine ticking over, as i have done for the last few weeks and it sounds about as perfect as it's possible to sound, Smooth and quiet, revs freely and easily then returns to a perfect purr. On my limited trips up and down the road everything is as i remembered it, if not better.

Then i hear a vey quiet, very slight ticking noise. "That's odd" i think to myself "don't remember hearing that befor......." At that point the very slight, very quiet ticking turns in to a noise i can only describe as sounding like half a dozen marbles shaken violently in a coke can broadcast over a very loud poor quality tanoy.

I am now VERY VERY pissed off.

Not had chance to do much investigation but sounds major, if not terminal.

I've taken the cam cover off and can't see anything obvious yet. My guess is either something left behind internaly after the rebuild,

something internally failing or possibly timing belt jumped a tooth or two.

Rebuild... I'm wondering if the collets weren't sat on a valve properly, they've pinged and the valve has dropped, easy to see on the inlets, just remove the bling pipes, if it's exhaust then obviously a little trickier. BTW who rebuilt it???

No i'm afraid not. It's internal and big.

Best i can hope for is head off and bits replaced.Broken%20Heart.gif

That's a shame :(

Bottom end is all new, reground Crank, new Mains, big ends, little ends and Piston Rings so all should be ok unless there has been a catastrophic failure of one or more parts.

I'm pretty sure it's top end, question is what else has it taken with it?

Problem is i've spent every penny i have,(and quite a bit more that i haven't if i'm honest) on it. so this could well be one problem too many especially when the Land Rover keeps going on and on and asks for very little in return apart from Petrol (14-16MPG), a bit like the knight in the Monty Python film. You cut off three limbs and it still comes back at you with the other one.

Going to Sharnbrook next Sunday (in a Land Rover :Secret: ) so it will be a couple of weeks before i know whats what.

I am no longer an atheist, I now KNOW there is a God and i KNOW he hates me.

Rebuild... I'm wondering if the collets weren't sat on a valve properly, they've pinged and the valve has dropped, easy to see on the inlets, just remove the bling pipes, if it's exhaust then obviously a little trickier. BTW who rebuilt it???

I rebuilt the head along with the bottom end. I did check the collets cos they can be fiddly little ####ers and all seemed OK. I've done plenty of Engine rebuilds in my time, probably in the hundreds, so i would be dissapointed if i've made an error as basic as that, but anything is possible i suppose.

I think i may rename this thread and drop the Electrical and just call it gremlins, or more to the point, big fucking monsters.

The cause of the rattle/banging has been found,

You don't have to be a mechanical genius to work out it's terminal.

DSC00865_zps376a0230.jpg

DSC00867_zpsd537277b.jpg

:Thinking: :Thinking: :Thinking: that looks a bit broken :(

any idea how it happened? or what you are going to do now? :(

Gaffer tape?

That's proper ruined :(

Oil pump failure?

The only comfort is that as far as i can see it's nothing i've done, other than missing a potentialy failing part, that has caused it to go bang.

You can't really see it in the picture but among all the nice shiney impact marks is a definate fracture point. The bore is badly scored, but it looks like the result of the con rod going up and down with no piston attached. It is certainly not a siezure mark so no problem with oil starvation. There are only very light impact marks on the top of the piston and hardley a mark on the valves so my guess is the piston has let go taking the rest with it. I did check all the componants thoroughly (or so i thought) before re-assembly.

So what to do?

Rebuilding this one i think is out of the question. the minimum it will need is a new Piston & Rings, Rebored block, Big ends, Con Rod, Little ends and that's assuming the crank isn't damaged and out of true. and although there appears to be little damage to the head it will need a couple of exhaust valves and i suppose skimming as a precaution. That's the best case scenario and it could be a whole lot worse.

I could hunt down a replacement used unit and do a quick transplant to get her up and running. this is the easy option and quickest as the car is (apart from the engine) ready for MOT.

Bottom line is i haven't got the cash to do either at the moment.

If i sell her as spares or repairs i'll get a few hundred quid at best, and dump a fortune.

I could break her and sell off all the new parts and try to recover at least some of the money i've sunk into her.

Don't really know what to do at the moment, except hide in a corner abd sob for a while.

Got the same thing with the gtv I reckon the bottom end has given up but I've ploughed too much into her to flog for £500 or less for spares or repairs. :(

Flybo, do you need the car up & running or can it sit there for a while while you save up & get it fixed?

Smiffy, strip it, sell the good bits & use the money to fix it up & make it into a track car. You know it makes sense :thumbs:

Gaffer tape?

That's proper ruined :(

Oil pump failure?

Nope, that only occurs from one thing, blocked oil jet, these engines have a little nozzle which can be easily damage duing a rebuild or if not fitted will cause low oil pressure, either way that gudeon pin (little end) dried up and exploded.

Flyblo, sorry to hear the engine's gone pop. :( Is the engine a TS, or is it a V6?

I seem to remember someone trying to give away a TS engine on here recently. I wonder if it's still going... Or if it will be suitable.

Nice thught but it was only a 1.6. and i think it's gone anyway.

I'll finish pulling mine apart on Sunday and see exactly what the damage is.

I have some spare parts (block,pistons, con rods and crankshaft) but i think most of them are from a CF2 so i'll have to check compatability, or just rebuild the CF2 bottom end and swap over. It all depends what i find.

well the good news is i've found the rest of the Piston

DSC00873_zpsd1c070b3.jpg

I've spent too much money on her to back out now, way more than she's worth.Trying to find a decent used unit without breaking the bank is not easy but a voice in the back of my head(or is it the wife) keeps telling me to stop.

Doesn't help that i've seen a lovely V6 Q System Sportwagon for sale. if i break mine for spares and sell the Land Rover it's do-able.