Sign in to follow this  
paca

No Reverse At Start And No 2Nd Gear

Hi guys, this morning I had a serious issue with my 2007 147 selespeed. I had to push the car out of garage because reverse could engage I heard a noise like clack-clack like if it was trying to do something, but without success. 2ndgear could not engage as well, so while driving to mechanic it skipped from 1st to third and then back to 2nd since I was going slow. So it could make from first --> to second but it did from third ---> to second. By the time I arrived to the dealer (3 miles - 5 mins) the problem disappeared. But it was there when I took that car to come back after 15 mins. this eve I tryed it and it was engaging reverse and second gear as well.

Mechanic as soon as heard "selespeed" proposed to change actuator for 1500£, I asked for diagnosis and they will do it tomorrow, but I am not very confident.

Do you have any clue? Anyone knows a good selespeed mechanic in Derby area?

thanks

Firstly you might not have to.

It could be the sensors, actuator rod. Lots of possibilities.

Smaky is our resident mechanic guru and I'm sure he'll offer up suggestions.

It's NOT the actuator and it definately does not require replacing, so if they insist on that line of action then just ask them which of their mechanics is trained on the system (you should get the answer "NONE").

The issue your describing is solely caused by an out of adjustment clutch rod which would require a system calibration once adjusted, replacing the actuator has NEVER resolved this problem.

Thanks guys, Smaky you are right. Diagnosis made this morning and examiner said to adjust clutch. They did it, but I am not really sure this was the problem. You are not supposed to have issues with every gear if clutch needs to be adjusted? And also this morning while going to mechanic the car was fine.

Do you also know if this a symptom of clutch residual life (half, ended, random)? my car has 60k km (roughly 40k miles)

Is this adjustment something I have to do regularly or should I wait for next issue?

Before last morning I did not have any signal, apart three times when car could not start because I did not wait that pump loaded pressure (I just went into car and tried to turn it on immediately), so I don't think their linked.

I know that they suggested to replace the all actuator just because it is easier for them, but come on... if I am not cutting my fingers to avoid cutting my nails :)!

If the clutch is only just out of limits then it generally affects the lower gears, but if it's not been checked and adjusted on the annual service for it's whole life then it can just start to cause problems with the whole box (like a manual, don't press the pedal far enough then it won't allow engagement).

sTART ISSUE, WELL i THINK YOU'VE EXPLAINED THAT ONE YOURSELF, and because it's taking a few seconds to prime then I'm happy it wont be an accumulator causing the fault, plus at 40K miles it's a young system, Clutches and pumps generally wear out around the 80K -100K mile point.

Yes they were trying to con you into a big profit job for them, something all the garages over here try to do.