Sign in to follow this  
gorge1982

Ecu Reset

Have been doing a bit of reading, and the latest is an ECU Reset.

If it isn't too much trouble, can I please get a quick run-down of the pros and cons involved?

I also understand there is a manual process you can undertake which involves disconnecting the battery etc etc, whilst the other avenue is to select the option in Multiecuscan, correct?

Thanks in advance .

Danny

I would wait for Smaky to post a reply before going ahead.

Yes, I was more looking for reasons to/not to undertake.

I was also under the impression that re-setting the ECU was effectively "un-learning" all the things that the previous driver had taught it, so why would I thrash it for 15 minutes, as its first chance to learn something about my driving, when that isn't the way I drive?

The only way to reset the ECU is using software, FES, MES or Eaminer, like many misguided individuals on other forums keep insisting that "disconnect the battery for 15 mnutes, then reconnect, turn the key to MAR for 90 secs, OFF for 90 secs, start the engine and idle for 5 mins then drive away" would reset the ECU...IT DOES NOT, this is merely the reset proceedure for the throttle body (on CF2 and 3 TS and CF2 V6 engines) and does NOT put the ECU back into learning mode.

Thanks Smaky, and once this has been reset, do I need to calibrate anything else, or am I basically working off a clean sheet?

Also, a member above recommended driving the car in a manner different to my usual driving. Is this also required?

You can drive it however you like as by resetting the ecu is goes back to a standard setting that the factory believes should work fine. However all cars are different and driven differently. the ecu will learn your car the more it is driven. Some cars have rough idle after a reset due to the car needing some adjustments to smooth things out - if this happens it will right itself in a couple of days unless there is an underlying issue. My suggestion to drive like you stole it merely refers to my preference to get in the params I want in the ecu ASAP. Insert smiley face here

So just to answer my other question, once the ECU reset has been performed, is there anything else that needs to be done, or am I good to go?

Forgive my ignorance but, why would you want to reset the ECU anyway. As I understand it Fiat/Alfa ECUs are progressive so, they'll adapt to your driving anyway?

What are you hoping to achieve from this forced reset?

Smaky Are there any realtime advantages to doing this? Wouldn't a remap be a better option? (Im assuming, of course, that George is looking for some sort of gains)

Incidentally, if the ECU is progressiv surely a remap becomes obsolete as the "re-learning" takes over?

@ Devious.

You'll see in the initial question that I asked for the pros and cons to doing this, so it's also my ignorance that needs to be excused.

I've read conflicting things about doing a full ECU reset.

resetting the ecu means you are clearing out the RAM - that is clearing out any stored details that the ecu has accumulated

a reason to do so would be the installation of a new component that the ecu reads from and makes adjustments based on its feedback - such as a crank sensor, MAF, etc. I would not advise to reset because you have put in a new exhaust as the ecu should learn how to handle that from sensors. if your exhaust changes are major then perhaps you would consider a full remap

Edited by 06gta

What are you hoping to achieve from the reset George?

I wasn't necessarily trying to achieve anything in particular, but if someone who is more knowledgable on a particular subject, tells you that something will be beneficial to your vehicle, for a certain reason, I am all ears.

I have read that, as the second owner of a vehicle, a full ECU reset can be beneficial, as your driving habits are different to the driver before yourself, but as you pointed out, these ECUs are progressive, so perhaps what I was reading was written by someone that didn't quite know what they were talking about.

I guess that's the sort of clarification I was after, and is why I asked for the pros and cons in my initial question.

Danny

Please don't think for a second that I have a clue what Im talking about. Id just heard somewhere that the Ecu was progressive, not just confined to a set of parameters and this was done so that there wasn't different programming per geographical location to account for vast environmental factors.

I may be well off the mark though. Lol.

So just to answer my other question, once the ECU reset has been performed, is there anything else that needs to be done, or am I good to go?

Nothing else.

You can drive it however you like as by resetting the ecu is goes back to a standard setting that the factory believes should work fine. However all cars are different and driven differently. the ecu will learn your car the more it is driven. Some cars have rough idle after a reset due to the car needing some adjustments to smooth things out - if this happens it will right itself in a couple of days unless there is an underlying issue.

Which is why REMAPS don't work (unless you've had major engine mods, a non-learning ECU or it's done on a rolling road and the original map parameters are totally deleted from the ECU)..

On this note I've noticed that the ECU takes about 6-8 full tanks of fuel to actually relearn and adapt to a new major hardware change like catless manifolds, bigger exhausts ...etc.

Doing a ECU reset just speeds it all up.

On this note I've noticed that the ECU takes about 6-8 full tanks of fuel to actually relearn and adapt to a new major hardware change like catless manifolds, bigger exhausts ...etc.

Doing a ECU reset just speeds it all up.

After a reset it should have relearned and set itself up within 50 miles so yes it is quicker, which is why I suggested it be done after such work has been performed, it prevents it from thinking there are faults due to sudden massive temperature or pressure differences occuring from the newly fitted parts.

• Like 1