xyy81t

Whats This Noise?

finally got my qv ready for its MOT, dropped it off the axle stands to take it round the block to wear some rust off the discs and there is a very unusual noise coming from the gearbox.

it made this noise when i started it up before i bought it, but as the clutch had gone (release bearing) i put the noise down to that. Now a new clutch and bearing are on the noise is still there. I have topped the gear box full of fresh GL5 oil but i fear the noise is from a bearing inside the gearbox somewhere?

what do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKsBny0JE0g&feature=youtu.be

I would of said thrust bearing, does it go away when the clutch is depressed?

I would of said thrust bearing, does it go away when the clutch is depressed?

yes it does but not straight away, after a second it does, it can't be the thrust bearing as the one on it is brand new

But the clutch and release bearing on it are brand new, fitted only this week? How can It be knackered straight away? Felt lovely and smooth in my hand before it went on

Wobbly input shaft?

Possibly but that release bearing is shagged, as is pretty much the rest of that clutch kit now (just going by where the camera was and that howling noise), who fitted it and are the going to be taking responsibility for this fowl up?

ummm.... i fitted it :cry: so only myself to blame if i've cocked it up, but how can this happen? its not my first clutch change. you're that confident its the release bearing? even though:

a: its brand new

b: it only makes noise in N, 1st, 2nd and Reverse

c: its the same noise I heard before buying the car..(i put it down to release bearing then as clutch had completey gone)

plus if it was the release bearing i'd expect the noise to stop when pressing on the clutch slightly (but still engaged) it doesn't stop unless in 3rd, 4th, 5th or clutch completely depressed.

Edited by xyy81t

ummm.... i fitted it :cry: so only myself to blame if i've cocked it up, but how can this happen? its not my first clutch change. you're that confident its the release bearing? even though:

a: its brand new

b: it only makes noise in N, 1st, 2nd and Reverse

c: its the same noise I heard before buying the car..(i put it down to release bearing then as clutch had completey gone)

plus if it was the release bearing i'd expect the noise to stop when pressing on the clutch slightly (but still engaged) it doesn't stop unless in 3rd, 4th, 5th or clutch completely depressed.

Wobbly input shaft?

I'm affraid that I'll stick with Smiffffffffffffffeeeeeeeeeees diagnosis, the front bearing has gone and is thrashing around which will have destroyed your nice shinny clutch kit, the noise you can hear is the thrust bearing getting mangled and/or the bits of front bearing/seal being chewed up inside the box and bell housing, it's a noise I've heard many times and from experience I'll tell you that if you keep running the engine then it's a matter of time before your picking up the parts from the floor, I'll be at MITCAR this sunday and I'll bring the boroscope so you can see inside without dismantling anything but I'd expect to see it on a trailer.

I'm affraid that I'll stick with Smiffffffffffffffeeeeeeeeeees diagnosis, the front bearing has gone and is thrashing around which will have destroyed your nice shinny clutch kit, the noise you can hear is the thrust bearing getting mangled and/or the bits of front bearing/seal being chewed up inside the box and bell housing, it's a noise I've heard many times and from experience I'll tell you that if you keep running the engine then it's a matter of time before your picking up the parts from the floor, I'll be at MITCAR this sunday and I'll bring the boroscope so you can see inside without dismantling anything but I'd expect to see it on a trailer.

shit the bed i could be the new techincal guy :Smug:

Listening again it's also reminisant of a starter hanging,

I'll check I tightened the starter up firmly but I'm quite sure the noise is coming from the gear box. Is the offending bearing easy to replace? Or does it need a press etc?, easier just to get a new box?

I'll check I tightened the starter up firmly but I'm quite sure the noise is coming from the gear box. Is the offending bearing easy to replace? Or does it need a press etc?, easier just to get a new box?

not to worry, picked up another box today so will just swap them over and and be done with it, may replace the release bearing if its fooked, we'll see once the box is off.

new box is on and the noise has disapeared :yay: i can't see anything wrong with the old box, the release bearing and pressure plate are fine?! but the input shaft bearing cover was deformed at the end probably from the previous release bearing but the input bearing looks fine but then i'm not a qualified mechanic!

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0042.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

Do you know what 'centered' means?

1344832869402.jpg

I'm guessing No... ?

:D i do yes, that picture was taken at an angle, perspective makes the clutch look like its not 'centered' but it is/was.

Lol ok, hell of an angle :LOL:

Sadly that's my only suggestion as to the possible causes... So I'll leave you in smakys capable hands.

Don't forget to use the doll to show the doctor where he touched you....

You can clearly see that the release bearing is not running in the center and those horrible cheap Delco clutches are awful, but now you have the shaft seal plate off the box try wiggling the shaft up and down....It shouldn't knock at all.

thanks Smaky. Removing the studs is on the list to do this week as well as a full cam-belt service, I'll admit i was astonished to see that the bracket was still attached and had not hit anything for nearly 13 years! there is a bit of a gouge on the sump itself so thats been whacked at some point but the bracket is unscathed. It has already found its way to the bin :)

As far as the clutch goes, it engages smoothly and seems to be functioning normally although i suppose time will tell if its longevity is poor. the release bearing that came with the kit (pictured) is crap, there are metal plates that protect the plastic where the clutch fork pushes against it, these have broken already, whether that was encouraged by the wobbly input shaft or not i dunno, but I've replaced it again with what seems to be a better one, again, time will tell.

This has been a steep learning curve and I am gratefull for everyones help. :thumbs:

i am running out of patience with this car. After changing the gear box and radiator last Saturday i went for a mid length drive for a day out with no problems on the way, everything was fine, but on the way back overtook another car no where near to the red line but foot flat in 4th to accomplish the manouvre reaching about 75 mph. After that there was a knocking coming from the engine bay, thinking that my new box had failed in some way i limped home. once home i was convinced that the noise was coming from the top-end and the timing had slipped so i ordered a new belt kit and when that arrived wednesday i started changing the belts etc.

I checked the timing before removing the old belts and it was spot on. as the belts were due i continued and changed them anyway, there was no damage to the old belts. i finished up this evening and the noise is still there. it sounds to me like the bottom end is knocking but it doesn't do it under load and only in a specific rev range, about 1800 - 2500 rpm i darn't rev it higher than that though. I've checked the timing 5 times now after running and it is right on the money. No idea how a bottom end can sudenly go like that. :cry: