Sign in to follow this  
AFLA

Poly Bushes

Now, after wishbones up and down and drop links replaced, I still have a knock (left front) on braking and a squeak while going over a speed bump AND turning, I guess this is the ARB bushes (you can freely move the ARB side to side).

What do poly bushes give me over the standard fitment? Does it improve handling on its own?

Edited by AFLA

I would suspect so, or the shocks gone.

Poly bushes only really gve ou a dented bank account and accelerated failure of the upper arm ball joints.

How can I tell if it's the bushes or shocks?

It is definitely from the left hand side and not the right (left hand drive car). The knock is when braking and near the end of the braking, right before the halt - kind of like in sync with the end of the nose dive travel.

Happens on lighter/softer brakes and heavy/hard ones. Low and high speeds.

Is there a test for this type of failure in shocks?

Edited by AFLA

Jack the car up and support so the front wheels are about 3 inches clear of the ground, with a long bar try to pry the wheel steadily up feeling for a knock as it lifts.

But have you also checked the wheel bolts are tight, calliper mounts are tight, wheel bearings are sound and the upper arm bolt is tight?

Replaced the ARB bushes but knock is still there.

The shocks seem fine and do not clunk. Also the caliper is tight and so are the wheel bolts.

However, when jacking up the left front and trying to move the wheel by grabbing the tire, I could sense and see a very slight movement when doing this side to side. This movement does not appear normal.

Does this mean wheel bearing? Or can be some other component?

Thanks!

Tuval

Edited by AFLA

Without my hands on the car then this is just a guesswork job, it may be the wheel bearing, it may be any other joint on the suspension and steering.

Well, I guess this is guesswork territory now... As by now have replaced upper and lower wishbones, drop links, ARB bushes and steering rack assembly. Really confusing ;-)

Does it help if I feel the thump through my left foot on the brake paddle?